Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bluesmoke 'Gilded Splinter' rub on a Fatty ?? .. You Bet !!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has very slowly warmed up to 'Fatties' as part of our BBQ menu, and I agree that many of my early efforts were not so great. Way out here in Utah, one of our local markets got a huge shipment of Tennessee Pride sausage and ran a special. I bought several 1 lb pkgs and cooked my first one yesterday after baking bread. [p] Wow!! .. it was the best yet. spread it out fairly flat, covered with Cabot Pepper jack cheese, pickled jalapeno slices, reformed into a log, and covered thoroughly with Bluesmoke (Ken Stone) GILDED SPLINTER rub. Cooked for 1 hour at .. indirect .. on raised grate at about 300*F .. to internal of 170*F. [p] We ate some last night before dinner, some more this morning with breakfast (normally 'healthfood' ..fruit, juice, vit's, toast). It is terrific and even gets raves from wifey! [p] Four solid months of heavy-duty BGE cooking and 'fatty' success at last! .... thanks to Bluesmoke and Tennessee Pride. [p]Tom B (EggSport)

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    ok
    you guys with the fatty talk have been winning me over.[p]is a fatty ALWAYS a giant unskinned sausage made up of a number of sausages combined? ...or do you also make them from 'scratch', like a meatloaf?[p]forgive my ignorance (that oughta be my motto).[p]looks like a great cook, just thinking all that sausage might get the hairy eyeball from the wife/health-police.[p]can/do you use a mix of sausage, ground meats, etc. and still have what's considered a fatty?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    stike,
    jimmy deans, skinned sausage from a good meat shop formed into a loaf like a jimmy dean, or make your own from scratch. thwaites in methuen makes a fresh mild keilbasa and a hot spicy greek sausage thats great for these. stuff with cheese if your going to just eat them , not if your going to slice and fry later. thwaites also makes good banger sausages that may be good if your going to eat them for breakfast, havent tried them yet.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    fishlessman,
    good god, man. stop. yer killing me.
    i can feel my carotid arteries plugging up as i read![p]sounds great.
    "slice and fry"? wow.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike,[p] Well .... I guess almost anything goes, although the basic Jimmy Dean model seems to be the basis for many to use. I've seem pic-posts on another forum of as many as 24 one-pound fatties on a large smoker at one time. Some plain with rub, some stuffed and rubbed, lots of different stuffings. [p] I might try my own sausage mix at some point. One local store makes great homemade, 'lean' pork sausage, but the fatties have never been as good as this latest Tennessee Pride brand .... although I bet the healthcops are already on their way out here.[p]Regards,
    Tom B (EggSport)

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Tom B. (EggSport),
    Sounds like you are finally in the "Fattie Zone"! Now try one stuffed with some fresh Mozzerella.... THe kind that is in the water or in tight wrapped plastic.

• Bigfoot,[p] Next cook for sure! I get it now at Costco and use it on my pizzas. Just never remember to keep a chunk around for a fatty or two. [p]Thanks,
    Tom B (EggSport)[p]