Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib help - little too dry...

Options
Theo
Theo Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did some baby backs yesterday in the BGE - indirect with place setter on a raised grid - 250 degrees (sometimes went to 260 to 270 - but held around 250 for the most part). [p]I did the 3-1-1 method - 3 hrs indirect - 1 hr indirect in foil - and final hour indirect removed from foil (I wrote this in case I have it wrong).[p]After the 3rd to 4th hour - the meat had pulled back from the bone about 1/4 to 3/8 inch on some of the ribs & they looked done. One of the racks was falling apart as i was removing it from the foil to put back into the egg.[p]When I finally pulled them off after the 5th hour - the meat fell off the bone with no tugging - and they were a bit dry (but still yummy). [p]Any ideas ? Did I cook to high (maybe 225?) or too long ?[p]Thanks all for your help !!!

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    theo,
    I find that if you put 1 cup of apple juice in the foil and seal it up it will keep the ribs very moist.

• The Virginian
    Options
    theo,
    Sounds like you just cooked them too long. The 3-1-1 method is intended for spares, which cook longer. You can use the same method, but shorten the time. Without foil baby backs take about 4 to 4 1/2 hours, so I would think that with the foil you would want no more than 4 hours total, maybe less. [p]Brett

• EddieMac
    Options
    Sounds like you did everything right......But now....it's time for a little experimentation on your part.....I've used the 3-1-1 method two or three times.....And they turned out pretty well....But then I realzied that the stages were just a bit long....I shorted the 1-1 stages.....40 minutes in the foil (with apple juice).....and just 20 minutes of direct saucing and flipping.....And that gave me the results I was looking for.....[p]Also...did BabyBacks this past weekend....5 hours indirect in the rib rack....and I liked that procedure (that I picked up here on the BGE Forum) even better than 3-1-1....[p]Ed McLean.....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    theo,
    I forgot to mention to put the ribs in a foil pan and cover it up with foil and have bone sides down when you put in the pan.

• theo,[p]I did baby backs the way Dizzy Pig's website mentioned. The toothpick to test for doneness worked very well. Also, I think pork seems to have that same plateou effect where it sits around 160 for a while and then starts to head towards 200. I took them off around 195 and they were perfect. I also used the apple juice and cider vinegar spritz to keep them moist.