Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover on a Hot Egg??

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of the issues with a BGE is that you have to wait a long time to get it cool enough to put the cover on. Most posters have commented that they wait until they can hold their hand on the Egg, before putting the cover on, but this can take several hours.[p]I put this box together with the idea of having a cover made that would fit over the box and the table. The idea is that I could get away putting the cover on when the egg was still hot. [p]I would like some feedback if you think that this is going to work or an accident waiting to happen.[p]Thanks,[p]CoverProtection.jpg[p]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    BobS,
    I might wonder if you'll get any condensation on a cool day or evening?

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    BobS, nice looking table. I really like the hunk of stone (?) on the left side. And the drawers for the "stuff".[p]As for the cover....you be having a not-so-fine time getting the cover on to begin with - without the frame you put in place.[p]That frame is something you put on after the cook, right?[p]My EGG's reside under a patio, don't get all that dirty. Once every two or three months, I drag them out into the sunshine and give 'em a good bath. Have never used the covers.[p]Previous poster mentioned moisture underneath your proposed cover. Depends on where you live. I'm in the desert and would not have to worry much about that.[p]Depending on where you live, I would worry about the moisture. Lot's of posts about mold on the inside, etc.[p]Depends on how often you use it, too.[p]Again, great looking table!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    BobS,[p] Remember the flashback!!! While the unit cool the combustible gases could build up inside of this setup. If the vinyl should happen to melt POOF!!![p]
  • Flashback Bob
    Options
    BobS,
    That is one FINE table!
    I'm interested in this as well because I'll have my egg/table outdoors all winter and I need to come up with something functional. I Know the egg is fine outdoors and I built my table to be fine outdoors, but experience has shown me that outdoor stuff lasts a lot longer when it's protected. I was thinking I might do something cheap and disposable like a cheap cover or tarp that I would discard in the summer when I return the egg to the garage, but that doesn't address the cover-on-the-hot-egg scenario.[p]I'm new to this but from what I've been able to find out, I wouldn't think there'd be any flashback issue involved with a cover as oxygen is the gas that enables flashback. Cover wouldn't allow more oxygen to get to the dying embers.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    BobS,[p]I'm not quite sure how long I've had my BGEs, but there were maybe only 10 or 12 of us regular posters on the forum back then! I live in Michigan and my two large eggs sit outside all year long. They look fine. I wash them well about once a year. I took one to Florida for the winter and the salt air didn't seem to affect it either. [p]Once we started competing we burned the table in our fire pit. It's tough to get eggs in and out of a table (and there's no way to get a table off of our deck other than going over the railing). The larges now sit in nests and I can roll them under cover when it's raining or snowing.[p]JCA
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Those were interesting observations from someone who has the experience to make them count. [p]My issue is not protecting the BGE, but protecting the table and more than protecting the table, it is to keep the water out of the drawers that I had included.[p]I just do not want to solve one problen and create another......

• Flashback Bob,
    target sells generic vinyl grill covers in a couple of different lengths. i'm using the one on the table i built using the dimensions/plans from the BGE web site. it works great and was only $20.