Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in vs. boneless Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a difference in cooking times/methods for bone-in versus boneless Boston Butts? I just bought a Boston Butt but didn't realize it was boneless until I got home. I bought a bone-in picnic cut 2 weeks ago and things went well, but I'm wondering what effects the bone has during the cook. TIA[p]Chris

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    ccraig4604,
    I would not think there would be that much. Just monitor the temp and see how it goes.[p]I've picked these up and used them to grind up for pork burgers/sausage before, just the right amount of fat IMHO.

• SeeRockCity
    Options
    ccraig4604,[p]In theory, the bone-in version should take longer to cook (like chicken with bone) but because of the variance in cooking times with a butt or picinic, It would be nearly impossible to tell what difference the bone has, you'd never get two identical pieces of meat to test! [p]If your butt finishes early, just wrap it in foil, then towels and stick it in a cooler. It should keep hot and "pullable" for up to four hours (actually it will stay hot longer but 4 hours is about as long as you can safely store in cool-down mode before having to stick it in the fridge or start cooking it again).[p]-r
  • Hillbilly Willy
    Options
    ccraig4604, Don't know the relative cook times of bone in versus boneless BBs, but the bone is useful to determine when the butt is done. When the meat is loose on the bone I kow it's ready for pulling. Without the bone you will have to resort to some high science tactic like temperature monitoring to determine doneness. Since a bone can be used in place of a thermometer, I think I'll hang one on the back porch.[p]Bill