Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Problem

Jimbob
Jimbob Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a small BGE about a month ago to with my Large. I am having problems getting temperatures above 300. I have just cleaned it out and will fill with new lump and give her another try. I have the air hole in the fire box in line with the bottom vent the grate has the bevel holes down. Last night I had the daisy wheel off and the bottom vent all the way open and the best I could do was 350. Any suggestions????

Comments

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Jimbob,
    Do you have the metal grate at the bottom, or the ceramic one? I had similar problems when I had the ceramic grate, but when I got the metal one, 500* and above was no problem. Good clean dry lump is a must. Hope this helps.
    Seth

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    Jimbob,
    how long did you give it, my small takes over an hour sometimes to get up to about 700. it wont do the extreme temps that i can get out of the large, but it will get up to searing temps if i give it enough time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Sounds like you might not be "filling" with enough lump. I have to get the lump about halfway up the fire ring to get above 500° on my small. You could probably achieve the same results with less lump if you could direct some air flow (i.e. fan or hair dryer) through the bottom vent.[p]Jim
  • Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    Crab leg,[p]I have a metal grate and I had the top open for at least and hour. I was cooking a beer butt chicken and opened everything up to keep it going.

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    I find a small hand held fan works wonders. [p]Toy Man
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Jimbob,[p]All good advice, or things to consider above.[p]I don't have the temp issues on my Small others seem to have. It does take me about 30 minutes(with the daisey wheel off) to get above 750.[p]I rarely have any need to go any higher.[p]If your problem persists...you might try an "expanded grate". It will give you better airflow. [p]If none of these things work...I'd go back to BGE or your Dealer...and request a new Egg.[p]Not being to acheive temps over 300, is unnaceptable and should be remedied,,,though chances are...you get it
    sorted out... beforehand.[p]Good luck!![p]Evans

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jimbob, have a small also and had a bit of a problem with temps. After the obvious checking the air supply to the lump, fill the firebox to the top. I began using a chimney starter about half full of lump and dumping that on top of the fresh or used lump in the firebox. Starts beautifully and quickly with the bottom door wide open and the daisy wheel either off the top or wide open. I can get temps well over 500 in fifteen minutes. I use this method for both high temps or long and slow cooks and get an EVEN burn in the firebox as opposed to the middle burning down and having unburned lump in a neat little circle around the firebox. Works for me !!

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Sounds like you might not be "filling" with enough lump.
    I agree. Keep in mind that to reach those high temps it takes a lot of fuel even in a small cooker. Load 'er up and give it another try.
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Jimbob, My 2 cents. 1) Plug therm hole after use with golf tee. Water finds it's way in and will make lump burn at low temp and hard to start 2) Line up bottom with paint stir stick as it doesn't appear where you think its at 3) Take off daisey wheel completely 4) Make sure grates holes on bottom clear and not clogged with small marble size lump. 5) Go big on fill up not packed too tight. If all of this doesn't produce hair singing heat in 1/2 hour take the little guy back to the store.