Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ASAP advice, turkey thigh

Tony
Tony Posts: 224
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGEphotos021.jpg
<p />I'm in the middle of this cook right now, here's a picture of the leg and thigh after 1 hour on the egg, 250 degrees. Right now the internal meat temp is 149. I plan on cooking until it's at 180 degrees. Right?
I brushed them with evoo and rubbed some Legnons cajun seasoning. I set up direct on a raised grid with 6 chunks of pecan wood added to the lump.
Question is:
Should I finish the cook with the same set up or do you think it would be better to finish them by wrapping in foil?
Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Tiger Tony,
    I wouldn't foil it because it will make the skin soggy. See if the skin is getting crispy, if not you might want to bump up the temp a bit. -RP

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Tiger Tony,
    180° is good for thighs for sure. I'd consider wrapping them for now until they get closer to temperature because of your direct set up and then unwrapping to crisp up a bit at the end.[p]If they're not getting too much color for you you can continue to go direct like that until temp also.[p]Hope that helps a little.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Tiger Tony,[p]I for one like dark poultry around 170° for maximum flavor and moistness. GOOD NEWS: In April the USDA finally revised their recommended temp for donenes on all poultry products down to 165°. I still go less on breast meat, and their recommendations are a little high for me on lamb, beef and pork, but that is just my preference.[p]~thirdeye~ d865f688.gif

[ul][li]USDA[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tony
    BGEphotos023.jpg
    <p />Tiger Tony,
    Thanks to all who offered advice. I decided to finish the cook without foiling. I just continued with same set-up and 250 temp until the internal temp reached 180 degrees.
    This was my first attempt with turkey pieces.
    I'm very happy with the results. Very tender and moist, the skin did not crisp up but it's good, the pecan smoke flavor is perfect.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Tiger Tony,[p]Man, those look great. Did you do any brining?[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tony
    thirdeye,
    Before the cook I searched the archives to see what I could learn and I ran across a post by someone (I forgot who), and they suggested that brining wasn't really needed and that was right up my alley since I was anxious to get started and didn't want to do any more waiting :-)
    I just ate half of the leg and I'm extreemly pleased with the outcome. I may have used a little too much pecan, the smoke flavor is strong.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Tiger Tony,[p]Poultry takes smoke very easily. Seems like you mentioned adding 5-6 chunks, which is quite a bit and more than I would for my taste. Cut back a bit and you'll find just the right amount for your taste buds. [p]Those look fantastic![p]Tonia
    :~)