Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with Beef Brisket

Luvmyegg
Luvmyegg Posts: 86
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a beef brisket that has already been trimmed. It's 4.5 lbs and only 1.5 inches thick at the thickest part. Any suggestions on how to grill this thing? I was thinking of folding the brisket in half and tying it with string and then slow grilling at 250 to a temp of 190.

Comments

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    LuvMyEgg,
    First, make a brine by dissolving 4 cups of kosher salt into 4 quarts of boiling water, add 2 Tbs pink curing salt and 1 Tbs each dried whole: juniper berry, mustard seed, clove, allspice, black pepper, coriander & minced garlic, 3 pieces of cardamom and 3 bay leaves. Remove from heat and let steep for 15 minutes then add 2 quarts of crushed ice and chill mixture til it drops below 40 degrees. Drop the meat into the brine and weigh down with a plate and place in the coldest part of the fridge for 3 weeks, turning the meat every 4 or 5 days.[p]Then, while that piece of meat is curing, go out and BUY A BRISKET!!! A 12 lbs or larger packer trim. This is a whole brisket, flat and point with the connecting fat and a minimum 1/4" fat cap covering one side, which I am now going to teach you to cook in 3 easy steps.[p]Step 1) Rub it down with your favorite beef rub, something heavy on salt & pepper and light on sugar. Place it in your Egg, indirect setup, fat side down at 225 dome, over a handful of hickory and maple or cherry chunks with a little mesquite for 18 to 22 hours til it reaches an internal temp of 190-195. Pull it, wrap it in foil and let stand at least 1/2 hour - up to an hour before slicing or place into a warmed cooler for up to 4 hours.[p]Step 2) Eat.[p]Step 3) Wrap up leftovers and eat those at your leisure.[p]Oh yeah, in 3 weeks, post here asking how to make a pastrami out of that other thing sitting in the brine.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• Luvmyegg
    Luvmyegg Posts: 86
    Citizen Q,
    Thanks for the advice. I went back to the butcher today and asked why the brisket was trimmed without the fat cap. He said we only sell the center brisket cuts here. We don't have the point end. Says good luck finding it around here - SF Bay Area. Will need to find another butcher.