Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Owner. VRACK, Pizza Stone, Drip Pan, Rib Rack, Temp?... What are MUST have Eggcessories?

Options
Doug
Doug Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all, I am a PROUD New Big Green Egg Owner. I finally got the bottom damper on correctly, thanks to this Forum! It is the new Damper and the Dealer had put it on backwards. Now, I have another question: What are the Must Have Eggcessories?[p]Do I need a V Rack, Drip Pan, Pizza Stone, Rib Rack, Digital Temp, etc....? Here are some of the things I want to do with Big Green Egg: steaks, chicken, fish, vegetables, Pizza, Ribs, burgers, dogs, etc.. I also want to smoke Ham's and Turkey's, and even fish, if possible. [p]What Eggcessories do need? [p]Thank you.

Comments

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    Doug,
    1. V-rack - good for holding ribs or placing a large piece of meat on. You can use it regular or upside down.
    2. Drip pan - foil is cheap and so are the throw away ones.
    3. Pizza stone - yes! Pizzas are fabulous on the egg.
    4. Rib Rack - see item 1
    5. Digital temp - several options here, but highly recommended
    6. You left out a plate setter, very versital and grate for indirect cooking.
    7. You also left out bigger clothes and belts.[p]Have fun!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ronbeaux,
    Don't forget 2nd Egg....

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ronbeaux
    Options
    Photo Egg,
    Oh yeah. I'm thinking thirds now. A mini. I like a challenge, so getting all three going would be fun. I had 4 going on the 4th, but one was a gasser and another was the grampas old heavy steel one.

• Unknown
    Options
    ronbeaux, thanks for the reply. I laughed out loud when I read suggestion #7! The Plate Setter is a great suggestion. Now, with a Plate Setter, can I have two grills inside the Big Green Egg?

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Doug Semmen,
    A lot of us make one with 5" stainless bolts, nutts and washers. That way you just by a Weber replacement, say 14", and use the bolts to make legs. Look at the picture or go the Whiz site, I think there is instructions there.

4thweekend016.jpg[p]

3a7db5aa.jpg[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    ronbeaux,is that grid to put on top of the other one?

• ronbeaux
    Options
    Ken,
    Yes. The other picture is: plate setter, drip pan, then GGE grid, then the home made one. Butt on top of a brisket flat, all indirect at 250 for around 14 hours. Just make sure the washers you buy are larger then the spacing of the grid bars.

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Doug,
    On a limited budget:
    1. Plate setter - for indirect cooks
    2. Digital thermometer - so you don't over cook.[p]Everything else is superfulous and nice to have but not necessary.

• Elder Ward
    Elder Ward Posts: 330
    Options
    Doug,
    I hope some day you have it all. But here is the truth. Lump, starter, matches, meat and a who gives a damned attitude as to whether you get it right or not the first time. Oh Yeah a good set of long tongs don't hurt none.
    If you got em smoke em,
    Elder Ward

• Newie
    Newie Posts: 7
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich,
    I agree Plate Setter #1 (so nice for indirect cooking which is a great cooking area fo the egg)and a digi is great especially for neophytes like me.