Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker Received and Cranking

Options
BYC
BYC Posts: 358
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received the Stoker yesterday and broke it out of the box this morning. After about a 15 minute self-education it's installed and maintaing a dome heat of 220 with 18 lbs of butt underneath. steady....Been that way for about 3 hours.....Now off to crank up the other cooker using brisket and the same stoker unit. If I had a third BGE here I'd get her cranking as well. But she's in VA.[p]Happy 4th and thanks John for delivering.

Comments

• GenesGrill
    GenesGrill Posts: 308
    Options
    BYC,
    David.....does the stoker come standard with an adapter for the blower to mount to the egg or is that optional?? Which unit/model did you get??

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    BYC,[p]Please keep me posted on your thoughts of this product, I'm very close to throwing down on one myself.[p]Thanks,
    Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Unknown
    Options
    I don't have a bge buy have been looking, My only problem is how do you add any charcoal, for long cooks, or wood chips.??
  • SirKeats
    SirKeats Posts: 159
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]same deal as with the guru... you can get the door as part of a "custom" package... but it's technically not included. i think the door adapter hooptyhoo (technical term) is 10 bucks.
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Warren Alexander,[p]You don't need to if you set the fire up properly before you start. 20 hour cooks are easy to achieve with a large or XL Egg.
  • eggnerd
    eggnerd Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi Warren,[p]That's one of the great things about an egg - it's not a guzzler on fuel.[p]Mine has currently been going for 13 hours now with a firebox that was only 2/3 full when I lit it. I did nothing special just "set it and left it alone."[p]Phil

• Grillicious
    Grillicious Posts: 347
    Options
    Haggis, some have acheived 30 hrs on the large, and easily that long on the XL. It is amazing!

• BYC
    Options
    Haggis,[p]I've had more 20 hour cooks go well than bad. However, it's the couple of bad ones that kept me up all night. Plus a 20 hour cook is a no brainer on my large, which has 7 years seasoning. However, on the new XL, which again is unseasoned I find temp reg more of a challenge. Believe me I always thought I'd be the last to spring for one of these but whet the heck---it's a new toy
  • BYC
    Options
    GenesGrill,[p]I had to specify and purchase the appropriate mounts---$10.[p]I bought the deluxe pkg so that I had everything I needed for 2 cookers running simultaneously. An extra fan and mount put my third in operation using the same central hub.

It's pretty darn good stuff....I would have bought the Guru had I not stumbled across this one. May still buy the low end Guru for the single cooker in VA. All of these monitoring devices are handy to have around. And for those of you who know me you also know that I downplayed them for a long time..

• BYC
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,
    20 hours later and didn't miss a beat. The only glitch was when the NASCAR race came on and I tried to slide some Jville Brats on for a snack. Fire got low and the fan over compensated a bit. But then I am certain that was all operator error...like they say LEAVE THE DOME CLOSED!!..It was the smell of slow roast pig that got the best of me[p]Seriously thus far the unit works like a champ.[p]Going to buy a small smokey joe today for those snacks..;))

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BYC ,[p]
    Good to hear.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BYC
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]After 20 hours of butts I threw a large chicken and then a small pork loin on the same set up. It was simple to adapt to the new items and plenty of coals left over for Sunday's cook.[p]Now it's time to eat and get ready for Daytona....[p]Go 8!!!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BYC,[p]8 fan here as well, hoping for a good night for Jr.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BYC
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]8 dominated last night so looking good.[p]Anybody but the 29 and the 48....please!!!!!!!!!!!!