Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question o Things to add to BGE, Guru, Fire Screen

Kyle
Kyle Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I try to add to my BGE needs occasionally and would appreciate comments on a Guru (How it works, cost, do you like it?, etc)Where to get one.[p]A fire screen seems like a good idea. Does BGE make one and where to get it? Cost?[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Kyle,
    BBQGURU.COM.. don't have one myself yet, but I hear they simplify overnight cooks greatly, screen comes from BGE about $10, cast iron grates are available from BGE for around 50.00 delivered, raised grids are nice to have....[p]That's gonna blow you allowance for a couple of weeks![p]Enjoy!

• randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Kyle,[p]I own neither a Guru or a screen. I did pick up a nifty bottle opener for my egg table that has proved to be indispensable.[p]My list of required stuff that did not come with my original egg set up:[p]Plate setter
    Raised grid
    Digital thermometer[p]That's really about it.[p]RE

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Kyle,
    What I always forget is that you need to add the word "the" for the BBQ Guru's website (www.thebbqguru.com). If you get a Guru, get the 10 CFM fan, which is only about $7 more than the little 4 CFM fan. Also get the longer probe wires. For a complete Competitor package including the adaptor specifically for the Big Green Egg, you're talking about $220. I think the new website makes it a little easier to figure out everything you need than the old one did.[p]I got my Guru for Christmas, and it helps me sleep better during the low and slow cooks. Before, I would get up about every 3 hours to check temps. But I'm not very good at getting back to sleep, so this purchase was very helpful to me. I'm not as confident in my fire-building abilities as some folks here who set a temp at night and then get 8 solid hours of sleep before checking![p]There's also a wireless version of the Guru, but that's really expensive (over $600).[p]What accessories do you already have? I like having a plate setter and pizza stone, so I can do baking and other indirect cooking. The Thermapen is not a BGE item, but a lot of us have them and use them frequently. They're pricey (over $60), but well worth it. Perhaps mShark (a wonderful individual who posts here pretty often) will put together another order sometime soon to save some of the newbies a little on the price.[p]I used to have an electric starter, but I destroyed two of them by leaving them in the fire too long. I now just use the Weber starter cubes from Home Depot. One of those wind proof lighters is handy. Some folks start their fires a little quicker with propane or MAPP gas, but that's too many sparks for my tastes.[p]There's lots more stuff to buy, but I think I've mentioned enough stuff to get you a good start. You might want to cook without a Guru for a few months, even if you plan to buy one eventually. That way you get a feel for how to regulate temps in the Egg, and how the fire spreads around over time in your Egg.

• Big Red
    Big Red Posts: 19
    Kyle,
    This may sound a little whacked but, get a blow dryer if you have an electrical outlet near your BGE. I have one that I stick in the bottom air draft if I am in a hurry to light - as fast or more than a MAP torch. Field test one with an extension cord if you don't believe me...[p]Big red