Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Brine Question

Options
hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Thermapen tells me that the fridge is 37 degrees.
Any reason why I shouldn't brine a pork picnic for a week at that temp?
I have zero experience with brines. I found a good post about one where the cook brined for 48 hours yet the brine only got through about an inch and a half of pork.
I know veggies dry out if brined too long but what about a nice hunk o' piggy?
Thankies!

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    hayhonker,[p]Here is a cut and paste from the Bill Wise online BGE cookbook, which is an excellent resource manual. It has a huge section on brining and flavor brining and explains all the basics. The link below will take you to WessB's site. Click on the cook section to download it and several others.[p]~thirdeye~[p]Basic Meat Brine
    This much brine will take care of a 3 or 4 pound piece of pork loin, a chicken (or chicken pieces),
    a 3 or 4 pound beef, lamb or veal roast. How long to leave the meats in the brine? Depends. [p]For poultry, at least 24 hours. Up to about 36 hours. Roasts benefit from 3 days or more.[p]Ingredients:
    1 qt water
    4 TBS sugar
    3 TBS kosher salt
    1 TBS black pepper
    1 tsp thyme
    2 tsp oregano
    4-5 bay leaves, crumbled
    4 cloves garlic, smashed
    2 TBS vinegar
    Directions:
    Heat the water and add the remaining ingredients.
    Bring to a low simmer, stir a few times and remove from the heat.
    Let cool.
    That's the brine. How to use it? One very easy way is a gallon freezer bag. Put the meat in the bag and
    pour the cooled brine over it. Squeeze out much of the air, put the bag in a container and refrigerate.
    Just in case of leaks.[p]Variations: Well, for the basic brine, you can add or subtract any flavorings you want. The amounts of
    water, salt and sugar should remain fairly constant, but the other ingredients are variable. For duck,
    goose and other oily birds, add 2 tablespoons ground ginger, a cup of soy sauce and 1/4 cup orange
    juice concentrate. Stick the duck all over with a fork and brine for 3 or 4 days. Roast in a 400 oven for
    about an hour.[p]Chicken pieces benefit from the juice of a lemon and a tablespoon of rubbed sage added to the brine.[p]Bill Wise

[ul][li]WessB[/ul]
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery