Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water in drip pan affect cooking time?

Options
Meinbmw
Meinbmw Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier today that my 9.5 butt cooked in 15 hours rather than the expected 19 or more.[p]The only difference this go around was that I filled the drip pan with water ... could this have contributed to the quicker cooking time by "steaming" the butt?[p]The drip pan was totally empty at the end of the cook.

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Most every piece of meat is different....and require different cooking times....It's very easy (and not at all unusual) for two different boston butts that are or about the same weight to differentiate in cooking times...[p]Why is that?...Could depend on the diet habits of the two different hogs....fat content and connective tissue and general meat density may also be deciding factors as well.....In other words...they done when they're done....And not all butts are created equal...or so says Sir Mix-A-Lot.....who raps..."Cosmo says you're fat...Well, I ain't down widdat"....[p]Using a water pan may or may not contribute towards overall cooking time and others can chime in on that....The beauty of the BGE is that no water pan is needed....The Egg does a great job of keeping meat moist....And Boston Butts are awfully, awfully tough to dry out....As for me I prefer my meat smoked and not steamed...but that's just me....[p]Ed McLean....Eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL