Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is a "fresh ham"

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For me a ham is all or part of the hind leg of pork. If it is fresh it means that it is not cured and not cooked. I have seen some posts about fresh hams and I read a recioe that seemed to say that this they were talking about a cured ham....?[p]Thanks ahead of time for the clarification.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    BobS,[p] Fresh Hams are the meat that is used to make a ham minus the curing process. Usually sold bone-in. Sometimes they are referred to as Fresh Picnics. Least that was the way it was as I was being raised.
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    BobS,
    Got a fresh ham a couple of years ago. Brined the fat little fells for about 3 days then cooked it (with lots of smoke) at about 300º for sevral hours. Was more like a really great roast. Next time I do one I'll treat it eggzakly like a roast. Wonderful flavor not overpowered by the smoke and the family loved it!

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    BobS,
    I have read that if the 'Fresh' ham is not cured, it won't taste like Ham, but rather Pulled Por, or Roast.