Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Great Salsa Recipe..Please!!

Options
Smok'inCSI
Smok'inCSI Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi:
I need a really "KILLER" salsa recipe to impress my Hispanic Co-workers, and let him know the "Gringo" eggers can really cook!!
Our reputation as Awesome Eggers is on the line..
Thxs a million..
M

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    Roasted Tomato Salsa

Ingredients

12 roma (plum) tomatoes
    2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
    1 small onion, quartered
    1 jalapeno chile pepper
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
    1 Preheat the broiler.
    2 In a medium baking dish, place roma (plum) tomatoes, garlic, onion and jalapeno chile pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.
    3 Checking often, broil 5 to 10 minutes, or until outsides of vegetables are charred.
    4 Remove vegetables from heat. Remove and discard tomato cores, jalapeno stem and garlic skins.
    5 In a food processor, coarsely chop the charred vegetables. Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in cumin, salt, lime juice and cilantro

note: i would core the tomatoes before roasting.
  • hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    Smok'inCSI,
    This is a basic tomato salsa recipe. It's simple and that's what makes it great. I actually got compliments at the Waldorf Eggfest for this salsa. However the bean disaster negated any of that :/[p]1 16oz can whole tomotoes
    1 16oz can crushed tomatoes
    1 large fresh tomato, quartered
    2 cloves garlic
    2 quarters of a large white onion
    1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1 Tbs sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 Tbs lime juice
    1 whole jalepeno pepper
    1 whole chipotle pepper (dried jalepeno)[p]Put the above in a blender and liquify it.
    Let sit overnight[p]Add chopped tomaotes, dice up the other half of the onion, toss in some chopped cilantro.[p]That's a good basic salsa. Heat it up by including a single habanero in the blender.[p]Enjoy!

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Smok'inCSI,[p]Here's one that impresses everyone..[p]Essential Roasted Tomatillo-Serrano Salsa[p]From Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen.[p]Makes about 2 1/2 cups
    * 1 pound (10 to 12 medium) tomatillos, husked and rinsed
    * Fresh serrano chiles to taste (roughly 5, about 1 ounce total)
    * 2 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
    * 1 small (4-ounce) white onion, finely chopped
    * 1/4 cup loosely packed, roughly chopped cilantro
    * Salt, about 1 generous teaspoon
    * Sugar, about 1 scant teaspoon (if needed)[p]Roasting the Key Ingredients
    Lay the tomatillos on a baking sheet and place 4 inches below a very hot broiler
    (or grill them). When the tomatillos blister, blacken and soften on one side,
    about 5 minutes, turn them over and roast the other side. Cool completely on the
    baking sheet.[p]Roast the chiles and garlic on an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium
    heat, turning occasionally, until blackened in spots and soft, 5 to 10 minutes for
    the chiles, about 15 minutes for the garlic. Cool, then pull the stems from the
    chiles and peel the garlic.
    The Puree
    Scrape the roasted tomatillos (and any juices that have accumulated around them)
    into a food processor or blender, along with the roasted chiles and garlic. Pulse
    the machine until everything is reduced to a rather coarse-textured puree - the
    unctuously soft tomatillos will provide the body for all the chunky bits of chiles
    and garlic.[p]Scrape the salsa into a serving bowl, then stir in between 1/4 and 1/2 cup water,
    to give the sauce an easily spoonable consistency. Scoop the onion into a strainer,
    rinse under cold water, shake off the excess and stir into the salsa, along with
    the cilantro. Taste and season with salt and a little sugar.[p]Advance Preparation
    This salsa should be eaten within several hours after you've added the onion and
    cilantro, though you can make the puree a day or more ahead.

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Options
    Smok'inCSI,[p]This is actually a fresh salsa. There are many variation, but good tomatos are key.[p]About 2 pounds tomatos 1/4 dice or blended (diced is better)
    hot peppers to taste(3 jalepeno's deveined and deseeded makes a pretty mild salsa, 10 or so seranos processes to a pulp is my favorite. You can roast the peppers and tomatos on the egg until the skin starts to brown)
    a couple cloves garlic minced
    a fist sized white (onion small dice)
    A typical bunch of cilantro - I love the stuff, so more is better)
    Juice of a lime
    Salt to taste
    Possibly sugar
    If I am making diced salsa for dipping, I sometimes add a couple diced red radishes. I know it's wrong, but the salsa stands up better, is a little crispier and the white and red intensify the color contrast.[p]Ed[p][p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    salsa002.jpg
    <p />Smok'inCSI,
    i dont write every thing down, sometimes i just take a picture. mint is what made this one good along with a purple chrokee tomato

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it