Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby back or spare ribs - what's your favorite?

Options
ScottinKC
ScottinKC Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Comments

• RocketMan
    RocketMan Posts: 67
    Options
    ScottinKC,[p]spares, no doubt... I think much better flavor (and usually at 1/2 - 2/3rds the cost!)[p]- Andy
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    ScottinKC,
    trimmed pork spares, by far.
    more meat! grrrr

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    ScottinKC,[p]Spares, hands down. I like the flavor, value & size. I buy the full slab and cook the trim just for me![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stormyddog
    stormyddog Posts: 43
    Options
    Funny thing about this question, last night I picked up 3 slabs of babyback ribs to cook up for tonight. Had some people over last night and it started talking about the ribs. Long story short we are now having some of the neighbors over tonight so I ran down to the Abitoir, they where out of babybacks so I picked up some St. Louis to do for the first time. I am cooking them all the same on the egg right now so I will take a survey tonight and give you a report.
    The butcher recommended the St.Louis saying that all the restaurants and competitors by the St. Louis and trim them up to look like Babybacks.
    2funny

• SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    RocketMan,
    There are two styles of spareribs, St.Louis and Kansas City style. St.Lous are whole as purchased ... just smoke 'em.[p] KC are trimmed to the cartilage and the bottom edge or the flap of meat is trimmed evenly across, leaving a even and uniform size rib with the same amount of meat on both ends. Nice to eat, and they don't seem to be so fatty this way. The trimmings are cooked with the ribs and usually used chopped up and put in beans for flavor and texture. It's quite delicious!
    I prefer the latter because they always come out the same to me. Baby backs taste great, but they're all bone and very little meat. On average in my area of Oklahoma, BB's cost about 12.00 per rack, or 3 racks for 20.00 at Sams Club. Kinda pricey for no more meat than you get!
    Try them all and report your preference and favorite recipe when you find it!

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    ScottinKC,[p]Spares. More meat, better taste, better value if you cook the tips for eating or adding to other dishes.[p]I still do BB's once in a while too.
  • Unknown
    Options
    ScottinKC, guess I am late, and a contrarian. I used to do spares, but after getting good baby backs, never buy spares unless they giving them away. Spares available here are about 80% bone, gristle and cartilage, while baby backs are lean and very meaty. I cut a rack of BB's in half, and wife and I each eat only 1/2 rack. I only buy BB's when they are on sale for $3.00 or less per pound. Used to use hickory or cherry, but now only use guava wood from Greg.

• Eroc
    Eroc Posts: 53
    Options
    ScottinKC,
    Babybacks when i'm just cookin' for me and my old lady.
    St. Louis spares when I have company because I'll just buy as much as my cooker can fit for a good price.
    Babybacks are just consistent in size and texture, and have almost no gristle or anything like that, and i think they just taste sweeter: but that said it takes alot of them to feed a crowd.
    I like ribs in general, so this is all just splitting hairs to me though.:)