Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Thermometer

Options
AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have a meat thermometer they recommend. I have bought a variety of the off-the-grocery-shelf ones and find them to be either inaccurate, slow to give a reading, or both. I'm partial to non-digital ones as the one digital I had did not treat me well, but I can be swayed.

Comments

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    red_vertical_large.jpg
    <p />Al, get a thermopen, you won't regret it.......

[ul][li]click here[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Al,
    that thermapen is instant read, but not leave-in...
    good for steaks and spot checking a bird, etc.[p]i actually use my leave-in maverick much more than the thermapen, since i can leave it in and walk away

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    102InBelAir.jpg
    <p />Hey Rick, I couldn't agree more. 101 uses and besides, red is the color for those who are prone to misplace things.[p]Thanks goes to YB for turning the egg crowd onto the Thermapen. It was at eggfest 2002 when YB debut it... I think he was checking the temp on his stuffed chicken breasts with this funny looking digital thermometer... I got one shortly after that.[p]john
  • terrafirmay
    Options
    stike,
    I had a Taylor digital, instant read thermometer; it cost about fifteen dollars and worked fine. But people on the forum raved about the Thermapen and I had to have one. When the Thermapen arrived, I put the tips of my new Thermapen and my old Taylor in a pot of boiling water . . . and they both read 212 degrees. Hummmm, I thought, and put the tips side by side in a bowl of ice water. I'm sure there is a moral here, stike: perhaps it is . . . red is cool but cheaper is a lot cooler, especially when they read the same temperature.[p]****

• Tony
    Tony Posts: 224
    Options
    Al, I like my Weber. It has the base transmitter and receiver. I don't really use a thermometer for steak (for roasts, yes) so all I need it for is turkey. It works great.
  • AL
    Options
    This forum is great! Thanks everyone for your input.
  • stike
    Options
    terrafirmay,
    hahaha
    lesson learned.[p]...is it truly "instant read"? say, less than 3 or 4 seconds?

• terrafirmay
    Options
    stike,
    I do not know but it tells me what I need to know. I am sure the Thermapen has features that make it desirable but it is not more accurate than my inexpensive Taylor digital. [p]****

• stike
    Options
    terrafirmay,
    no, but the reason it is popular is that very few are INSTANT read.[p]if you have to wait and wait for the thing, it's no good.[p]especially if you are trying to do steaks to different temps. some therms take 30 seconds to read the temp, and you don't wanna be standing there holding it in a steak while the lump is raging.[p]plus, to check 3 steaks would take a lot of time....

• AL
    Options
    stike,[p]I've been looking at the leave-in Maverick...I'm new to the egg. How would I have the wire going from the meat to the transmitter while maintaining the seal of a closed egg?