Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New baby, No Wife and a Turkey to be smoked.....

CAT Seller
CAT Seller Posts: 208
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My neighbor just had a baby on Tuesday of this week, and my wife thought it would be a good idea for me to smoke them a turkey while their families are in town from out of state. So I come home from work today to find an 8 lb. turkey breast (only) in the fridge and a note on the counter. "Honey, turkey is in the fridge, I am going to Tampa to my moms for the weekend - see you Sunday." [p]I have it unwrapped it, dried it, trimmed the fat off, put a little butter on it, some rub on it and I have injected it with some marinade. It is now sitting back in the fridge - patiently waiting until Sat to be smoked. [p]Need advice on cooking times & temps. I am thinking about 250 degrees for about 5 hours, until internal temp hits 165-170 degrees? I am I close or way off base?
Thanks in advance.

If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• Tombo
    Tombo Posts: 46
    Cat,
    You are right on. But cook at 325
    Enjoy

Tom
  • CAT SELLER, I cook whole turkeys indirect in a Weber Kettle (don't have an Egg yet)at about 350* and they are done in about three hours, or less, as I recall. Personally, I think the higher temp is better for browning the skin. If it begins to get too brown, lay a layer of foil over it until it's done. The done temp in the breast is as you said, about 160* Since you have a breast only, and not a whole turkey, I would think it will cook faster than a whole bird. This is just my 2 cents. I only cook a couple of turkeys each year and it has been awhile. Others can probably give you better info than I can. Good luck.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Chuck/Tx,
    I would agree that poultry doesn't benefit from low and slow. -RP

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    CAT SELLER,[p]What a nice gesture! You will be a hero. [p]I go higher on the grate temperature, around 325°. I take them off when the internal temperature is around 145° to 150°, if the juice runs clear.[p]For presentation and for easy slicing, (before smoking) I like to trim any loose skin & fat (especially around the neck) and I also trim the breast plate until it is only about two fingers wide. Some of those kitchen shears work good for the plate. [p]A brick or two of smoked cheese or a fatty (sausage log) would sure go well with the turkey breast. [p]Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Tombo
    Tombo Posts: 46
    Thirdeye,
    Are you sure? 145-150, I have always read 165-170 for breast

Tom
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Tombo,

I missed your post. When you post on this site, it does not show up on the other site. when you post there it shows up on both. Most are using the old site until this one is offically launched. Old site: http://biggreenegg.com/

I will agree that USDA calls for 170 for poultry white meat. But for maxium moisture and tenderness I have good luck with the 150°, as long as the juices run clear. The temp will rise a little during the rest. Next time you do some chicken breasts try one at a lower temp.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery