Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dutch oven

Options
jwirlwind
jwirlwind Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Now that I have my new 8 quart dutch oven, how about some of you post your favorite dishes so I may choose and start out with a good meal. [p]Chef Jerry

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    here is a link to an ox tail stew i do on the egg. .. would work great in your dutch oven. . .its easy, but unique, and 5 hours in the egg imparts some great flavor to the meat and veggies. . . .

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/archives/2005/messages/188479.htm[/ul]
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Jwirlwind,
    I just got my 7 qt lodge yesterday at Ace with a 20% discount. Seasoned last night and might use for chili today.LOL with yours. Post your first recipe used in your dutch. Thanks, Tom

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    I just got a 12"deep dutch oven as part of a cast iron set that I bought at Sam's Club. The whole package cost me 15 bucks. I've subsequently spent over 300 bucks buying accessories (I'm sure everyone on the BGE forum understands that).

Jwirlwind,

If you get RFD TV on your cable or satellite, there are two good Dutch Oven Shows. "Dutch Oven and Camp Cooking" with C.W. Welch and "Campfire Cafe" with Johnny Nix. You'll learn a lot from them.

You can find C.W. Welch at ceedubs.com and Johnny Nix at campfirecafe.com.

Earlier this month I took a two day camp cooking seminar with Johnny Nix. It was very informative and lots of fun. (I'll try to post a picture of Johnny, my son, Sam, and I -- we'll see how that goes).

82972d6f.jpgIMGP0522.jpg

Here's a recipe for Honey Marmalade Loaf that we cooked in the camp.

Ingredients
    2 cans biscuits
    4 Tbsp butter
    1/2 c honey
    1 c orange marmalade
    1 c pecans (chopped)

Directions
    Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Place in greased Dutch oven. Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in honey and marmalade. Pour over biscuit pieces. Sprinkle with pecans. Bake for 15-20 minutes over fire on medium hook. Remove and cover with top coals, continue baking until golden brown. Garnish with sliced oranges. Serve hot or cold. Oven directions: 350° for 25 to 30 minutes.

Have fun with your Dutch Oven.

Bill