Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fresh sausages from scratch?

eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok, got all the primary ingrediants that I think I need... 10 lbs of pork butt, a couple pounds of pork belly trimmings for added fat, my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer with meat grinder attachment, custom grinding plates ranging from 1/8 to 7/16 plus radiused oblongs, two spice cabinents full of spices, a book on loan from MadDogMoore to help get me started, prepared natural casings from the butcher, and a sausage stuffer that is also on loan.[p]I have several recipes saved, but none of them are from regular forum users. I want to come up with a good Brat, but I'll take your favorite recipe if you happen to have one and don't mind sharing.[p]Word is, that sharing a sausage recipe, is like a real personnal favor shared only between the best of friends and family... so if you want to email me a favorite of yours I promise I'll keep it hush.[p]Thanks,[p]Scott

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    eggor,[p]Here is a breakfast sausage recipe that my better half and I created and have enjoyed for quite a while. Everyone that has enjoyed it says it is very good. It browns really nice which adds another level of flavor.It has full flavor but no heat, so add heat as you desire. We tend to make patties instead of links.[p]3/4 lb pork loin
    1/4 lb bacon
    3/4 tsp kosher salt (ground fine)
    3/4 tsp fresh ground tellicherry pepper
    3/8 tsp sage (ground fine)
    3/8 tsp thyme
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1/8 tsp rosemary (ground fine)
    1/8 tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp paprika
    1 1/4 tb fresh parsley (chopped fine)[p]Spin

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Hi eggor,
    I don't know how ofter you get to eat homemade sausage but you can't beat it with a stick.
    I usually use Bruce Aidels 'Complete Sausage Book' and have never found a medicore recipe. Most of them are just great.
    Good recipes on the link.
    Cheers,
    bruce

[ul][li]http://www.sausagemania.com/[/ul]
  • eggor,
    Grind a couple Jonathon apples up with a couple lbs. Of course peeled and core removed.[p]Mike

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    007e6861.jpg
    <p />eggor,[p]Here is my set-up. MDM mentioned to me that he was a sausage maker. He's not helping??[p]f37de7c1.jpg[p]It is hard to pick only one, but here is a Hot Italian I like.[p]The rule of thumb with all sausage recipes, add or subtract quantities to suit your taste. Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff. Also good bulk.[p]10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
    1T cracked black pepper
    3T kosher salt
    5 t fennel seed
    2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
    ½ C minced garlic
    1 ¼ t thyme
    1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
    1 ½ t nutmeg
    1 ½ t coriander
    6 t sweet paprika
    1 ½ C water[p]For a nice twist, omit the water and add 1-1/2 Cup Pinot Grigio and 10T good romano cheese, crumbled. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggor
    Spin,[p]Well, I thought I had enough spices,LOL. Tellicherry is one that I don't have though, BUT I do have a blend of peppers that richard sent me, Looks like I got me a good breakfast sausage in the makings.[p]Thanks [p]Scott

• eggor
    badbruce,[p]Since I only have 10 lbs to work with is there one recipe on the site that you would recommend?[p]Scott

• eggor
    Car Wash Mike,[p]no core? that doesn't seem right. Actually this is why I want to try making my own sausages, EGGSPEERAMENT!!![p]Scott

• thirdeye
    e5287606.jpg
    <p />Eggor,[p]A new venture into sausage calls for new gadgets![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,
    Eckrich Farms better watch out. Those look great.[p]Mike

• eggor
    thirdeye,[p]well if I could convince MDM to come over and make it that would take all the fun out of it!!! He did hook me up with two cookbooks, the sausage stuffer, the butcher that supplied the casings and pork bellys... I think he sleeps at a Holliday Inn Express.LOL

• badbruce
    Hi eggor,
    The Alsatian Christmas sausage has a very subtle & mild flavor & is very different from what I'm used to in that respect.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• eggor
    thirdeye,[p]The recipe book that MDM lent me, had a section on cold smoking sausage then up to a final temp of 150ish. Was going to dabble into that one after I get past fresh sausages. The temps in the book were so low that I didn't think I could do that on the egg. After you smoke the sausage at temp ? do you cook later like a brat, or is the sausage pretty much finished and ready to snack on?[p]Scott

• badbruce
    Hi thirdeye,
    Where'd ya get that thingy?
    Thanks,
    bruce

• thirdeye
    c9b39a95.jpg
    <p />eggor,[p]Those are fresh Italian hot smoked with cherry at 250° to 300°. Not sure if the paprika helps the color or if it is only the wood. I built that jig so I can do 20 links at once without tending or turning.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    badbruce,[p]I made it with stainless TIG rod. The U shapes, the spacer and the support have alligator clips on the ends. It is really adjustable. It will handle 8" long links. It works good for jerky too.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]That is the exact same suasage stuffer I lent eggor! So, you also know Rytek Kutas (sp?)[p]BTW - Willing to help eggor for beer anytime![p]Jeff
  • eggor,[p]I used to sleep at the Holiday Inn Express when I commuted for 5-years from Denver. However, I'm enjoying the 15 minute commute with in Fort Fun now...[p]You didn't tell me you were taking on the grinding and stuffing this weekend. As I told you a week or so ago, I do work for beer and the more the beer, the harder I work. Give me some warning next time![p]Again, have fun and I hope your sausages turn out great![p]I am around this weekend so call me if you need help...[p]Jeff
  • eggor,[p]Keep in mind the post a few months ago as far as cold smoking goes...[p]There was a great photo of a small (that provided the heat and smoke) feeding a large with a dryer vent in between the two eggs. I only have one egg, so obviously, never tried it, but I thought you may want to consider it for a "cold smoke".[p]Land of Maddi
  • thirdeye
    MadDogMoore,[p]I sure do. Technique wise, it's the bible of sausage making. I've given many copies as gifts. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye,[p]I've also given out at least 6 copies myself that I can think of... I need to read again and get motivated. It has been 3-4 years since I really have made much sausage.[p]Check your e-mail...[p]Land of Maddi