Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggs Been a Smokin’

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Apparently, I have been in an extended state of BGE withdrawal without even knowing it. Since we got back to our new house last Sunday, it seems that I have been cooking on my eggs eve since.[p]On Monday, while unloading the truck I put a pot of chili on the Medium so that when we were done unloading we could eat. Talk about motivation.[p]On Friday, I just did some simple Johnsonville Brats.[p]On Saturday, I cooked a Stuffed Chicken from the Cajun Meat Company. Like a dummy, I tried to cook it direct. That was a bad idea. When I went to flip it, I lost half the stuffing. Come to think of it, for all my years of cooking on the BGE, I think that that may be the only whole chicken that I have cooked. Next time, I will use a roasting rack.[p]On Sunday, I finally made something that I have wanted to for many years…. Mojo Pork. I stared with a six pound fresh ham and covered it with homemade mojo on Saturday night. On Sunday, I got the large going at 1PM and put the pork on. I was roasting rather quickly at 325-350. By 7PM it was time to eat so I pulled it at 177. I was shooting for 180 and after talking to my new neighbor who is Cuban, he said that it should be shredded. I had to go for a combination of shredded and sliced. The thinner parts shredded nicely and the thicker parts around the bone I had to slice. I had also put a pot of Black beans that afternoon. So that was dinned Mojo Pork, Cuban Black beans and rice. Of course, I invited my neighbor and his family over for dinner. After he sat down, he mumbled something about just like at mom’s and then dug in for thirds. This was followed by tell me about this egg thing and where do I get one. [p]I am glad to be able to cook again. Now, if I can just get my cars in the garage and the last bit of stuff from old house, thing will be really looking up.[p]Just sharing,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Welcome to Georgia Michael...I think you and your family will like it here.
    Larry

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Welcome to the world of Mojo! I stumbled onto this great alternative flavor a couple years back. It has become a tradition at our house every New Year's Eve. I think fishlessman and a few others have gotten into this as well.

The black beans and rice are a perfect compliment. The pork is quite versatile in regards to presentation too. You can do it as a plate and fork thing, or serve it just like a pulled pork sandwich. One of the sandwich presentations I've done is to serve it as a traditional Cuban Media Noche sandwich. Ask your neighbor about this one. [p]It's served on a very crusty Cuban bread (I've substituted baguettes) with bread&butter pickles, sauted green pepper and swiss cheese. It's supposed to be pressed (like a panini) and served hot. But in a party setting, just keep the meat warm and its a great build-your-own thing. Oh yeah, no matter how you serve it, make sure you have plenty of mojo on the side in addition to just a marinade. squeezingl

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Will you share your mojo recipe with us? I've wanted to do one like that for a long time. Thanks, Tom

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BajaTom,
    When I get home, I will write it down but it was a combination of two recipes. One was from Dr. BBQ’s cookbook and the other from a Cuban cookbook that I have. I basically added Dry Sherry and kept the onions on a large slice rather adding them to the paste. I scored the skin and fat on the picnic and let the meat marinate overnight. As I have been told, two days of marinade is better just overnight.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]