Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg makes great chicken!

Options
BBQ-BoB
BBQ-BoB Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Man I though I was making some decent chicken in the past but the chicken I took off the egg a little bit ago was just fabulous! Did some chicken leg thigh quarters that got marinated in some Paul Newmans olive oil stuff the I did 4 different seasonings trying to see which we (my wife and I) liked best. Applied some sauce at the end and kicked the temp up some with the lid closed and just got a belly full of good chicken tonight![p]Reading a post below from Odis about his rack of lamb and I have one thawed in the fridge to cook either tomorrow or this weekend on the egg.[p]My pellet cooker is starting to wonder what happened around here. had an offer from a guy today about buying it. That would cover maybe 3 more large eggs![p]Still loving this egg![p]It would be nice to see or hear of more of these around my area.[p]Bob

Comments

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]Where are you? Maybe there are some more around your area. Check this map to see.[p]E
    [ul][li]http://www.frappr.com/biggreeneggers[/ul]
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]being a rookie egger, that you are, just wait til you try wings, and if you postpone it for a little... which you should, prime rib is by far one of the best things to come off the egg.[p]shucks, all that about a bge or primo, its not about who makes it, its about the food and comraderee(sp)[p]Scott

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]It apprears that my stalker that often sends me hateful emails based from things on another forum has taken the time to post my info. He has my city and state (Southfield, Michigan) correct. Heck maybe he has the rest of my info right too? He seems to think so at least.[p]For the record i didn't put that info on that site and that certainly isn't the way I look at bbq. It's just this guy that emails me under different names using a Gmail account.[p]Maybe I can get whomever is behind that site to clean it up for me.[p]This same guy is always emailing me about things between me and Drbbq and now he's added his name in a internet thing that I never did. I just don't want someone here that doesn't know me thinking it was me. I don't do stuf like that and I have no intent to ever start.[p]I do know of a few others here in the suburbs of Detroit but we don't have many yet.[p]Thanks for posting that link![p]Bob
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    eggor,[p]Wings huh? Hmmm, the Superbowl is coming up and I have some frozen wings in the freezer already. A prime rib isn't too far off by the way! It's already on my list of things to make.[p]I'm still working on getting the temps up and down quicker and maintaining temps. It's actually pretty easy but I have yet to try that high temp grilling stuff.[p]Still waiting for my first backdraft! Once it happens and I know I'm okay I'm sure I will just laugh it off.[p]Thanks Scott!
  • bbqBob,
    You are now starting to understand what you have missed out all these years. I have known you for what four or five years now. Phil Dell and Ford have one now and they love them. You are going to find they work great in our Michigan winter weather when it comes back.
    Good Egging to you
    Charlie

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]I'm in Swartz Creek (Flint), so you do have neighbors.[p]E
  • bbqBob,[p]I think the T-rex steaks are one of the best things the egg does. Don't wait too long. Try a spatchcock chicken too - totally easy and great tasting.[p]Ed
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    DrChuckie,[p]Good to see you post again, Chuck! Hey, people, Dr Chuckie is a fellow egger and a helluva nice guy! I met him here in Peoria, IL this summer while he was in a KCBS sanctioned event. While he left his BGE behind at home since he uses other equipment in his cool rig you need to know more about him...His middle name is Mr Modest! He didn't think his entries would make the cut and didn't even get to the awards part until they were just about to announce the winner. As it turned out he won the top chicken!!! [p]Stick around Chuck! We can learn from you!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    mushrooms003.jpg
    <p />bbqBob,[p]ya got any good oyster recipes for us?[p]Rick
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    bbqBob wrote: Maybe I can get whomever is behind that site to clean it up for me.[p]I took care of it, sorry I didn't notice it before.[p]That guy is quite a piece of work, you're not the only one he trys to annoy with his comments.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Ed in TX,[p]Would you suggest cooking the chicken directly on the main cooking grate?[p]What temp do you like with the egg for chicken?[p]Also not that you have to keep up with me or what Ih ave done but I do or have cooked on other grills and smoker such as a WSM, kettles, FE100 and a 8 foot Austin National I use when catering but this egg is new to me and I'm trying to learn it as fast as I can. I can see this egg easily becoming my primary grill.[p]I lurked on this site for a few years before finding a large egg for sale just about a half hour away from me. That guy (he post on occation here too)) got a hold of a XL. I'm trying to gethim to part with that one too![p]thanks for your advice![p]Bob
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Salmon,[p]What was that you made there again Rick? Looks good but I don't remember the post.[p]You mean I almost famous dead grilled oyster plate? I blame Mike for the problems they had. I was too sick to visit with them.[p]Now of course you just got me thinking of doing oysters in the egg! Hope I can get it and myself to Marshalltown and cook a few!
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    SMITTYtheSMOKER,[p]Smitty I can't tell you just how much I appreciate you cleaning that up. It's things like that that get some thinking the wrong things about some people such as myself. If you never met me or talked with me you might really get the wrong idea on just what kind of person I am. That certainly isn't the type of person I am. My main goal in life is trying to help others or doing at least one nice thing a day for someone when they don't expect it.[p]I've had some major life changes due to health things and I want to use this second chance with life in a much more positive way rather than shoot people down or fight and argue.[p]Again a very sincere thank you for cleaning that up! Hope to meet you someday and shake your hand and give an offical thanks![p]Bob
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    DrChuckie,[p]Almost had one last October but things didn't work out. No XL's at he time. As mentioned this large was justtoo close to home and the best part is I got what looks to be a good friend in bbq out of the deal too. Todd is a great guy and really enjoys cooking bbq![p]You haven't met my buddy Dave but he owns a fab shop here and is looking into making a carrier for the receiver for me so I can haul the egg around easily or easier. There's no way I canlife that thing.[p]Thanks Chuck! It's nice to see what you guys are doing and especially what Juile has been doing now too![p]Happy New Year to ya Chuck![p]Bob
  • BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]Ha! Maybe what an hour drive or so? Well always great to know more folks here! My email is down for a bit but I'll drop you a email when Iget back up. Severl aothers and myself are planning a little bbq cooking weekend somehwere either at my home or maybe closer to Lansing. We haven't decided on a location yet.[p]We were plannng to clean out the meat department at Sam's and have several of us just get together and do some cooking along with a little bit of practice comp cooking too.[p]It will be a weekend deal and maybe an all night thing too, maybe not.[p]It would be nice to have you show up and cook with us![p]Bob
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    bbqBob,[p]I think that would be great. I'd love to attend/cook/whatever!!![p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    bbqBob,
    if your going to have something made, this works well for carrying the egg. by spring ill have some kinda swing mount for the reciever to hook it to. whatever you have made, make sure to allow some room for felt so that it doesnt sit ceramic to steel

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bbqBob,
    Bob please keep me in mind when Dave builds something for you. I might be interresed in getting something so that I could move my Egg around a lot easier.
    Charlie

• bbqBob,[p]Maybe you can start an eggfest in Detroit?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ad610344.jpg
    <p />guess a pic would help

fukahwee maine

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Already looking into soe high heat or heat resistant rubber stripping that would go between the frame and the egg stillm allowing the egg to stay in the carrier during cooking and cool down.[p]I'm no welder but a friend is and we keep discussing things. Trying to find slow time for him isn't too easy but hope to have something soon.[p]At least I have our test subject to work with! Now he has to get his.[p]If it's okay I'd like to call you one day and pick your brain about this idea.

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Scottie,
    That just might be easier than many of my other ideas!

• bbqBob,[p]Not sure how you keep them all straight Bob... You've had about 1000 in the time you've been around...
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    sbxl_BGE.jpg
    <p />Scottie,[p]I see there is already a poster for the Detroit Eggfest...LOL[p]E
  • fishlessman
    Options
    bbqBob,
    i think i would go the felt route over the rubber. the bottom of the egg can get hotter than you may think. ive never took its temp, but it will catch wood on fire, and can crack a paving stone.

fukahwee maine

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    bbqBob,
    I'm currently in the process of completing an egg table.[p]I'm working on a "heat platform" for the egg to sit on myself. Having spoke to my ole fabricater buddy Chubby, I've decided to have a couple of round metal discs cut out and weld a few spacers in between for air flow and secure that to my wood shelf. It could be easier to do square pieces but I'm going to talk to a metal guy this week about cutting a couple of round ones.[p]Just another idea.[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BBQ-BoB
    Options
    Scottie,
    Often others influence there down falls or the timing isn't quite right and then some are within planning stages.[p]Just got my rub samples back today so at least that one is starting to make a move forward.[p]Don't forget the MDA fundraiser with Sam's that I was asked to do for them. I think that made things an even 1000.

• Woody
    Woody Posts: 45
    Options
    Eggecutioner,[p]I don't care what they say, now THAT is funny[p]Woody