Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pies

Options
bbqwizard
bbqwizard Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Someone on another forum was asking about these two pies, so I thought I'd post them here as well- just in case.[p]I love the Holidays!
phillip[p]Sweet Potato Pie[p]1.5# Sweet potatoes, cooked, skinned, mashed (however you want to cook them is fine. I like the oven method, you'll get better flavor.)
1/2 cup brown sugar or to taste
3/4 cup half & half
1/4 cup heavy cream
cinnamon to taste
Vanilla to taste
tsp. salt[p]1. Mix all ingredients together and pour into an unbaked 9" pie shell.[p]2. bake at 350 for 40 minutes or until set in center.[p]Note: You may add ginger, or a dash of pepper adds something fun to the recipe. If all you have is half & half, add one tablespoon flour to the formula.[p]
Cherry Pie Filling[p]1 cup Water or cherry juice
1/2 cup sugar or to taste
2 TB cornstarch
splash of lemon juice
pinch of salt
cinnamon to taste
1# Cherries, canned, frozen, or fresh[p]1. Place half the juice or water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine the remaining liquid, lemon juice and salt with the cornstach and mix to make a slurry. Add this mixture to the boiling liquid, stirring rapidly until thickened. Add cinnamon.[p]2. Fold the cherries into the thickened juice mixture, being careful not to smash the fruit.
Pour into an unbaked 9" pie shell and spread it evenly into the shell. Top with either a crumb topping or another layer of pie dough. bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until crust is golden and fruit starts to bubble. Allow to cool completely before slicing.[p]Note: I really like "dutch style" pies so I'd vote for the crumb topping.[p]Crumb Topping[p]2 sticks butter
1 cup brown sugar
dash of cinnamon
dash of salt
scant 2 cups flour[p]1. cream butter, sugar, cinnamon, salt. Add flour slowly until mixture becomes crumbly. [p]Note: If you make this ahead of time you can refridgerate it. Then when you want it, just crumble it on to the pie. I also like to add oatmeal for certain applications as well as vanilla.[p]Enjoy![p]phillip

Comments