Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket??

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
hi, i wanted to try cooking a brisket on my egg. have never tried this. have no idea how to do it , nor what to season with. any help out there???

Comments

• lysa,
    I would suggest using and indirect setup with an inverted placesetter with one leg towards the back of the bge.I wrap the placesetter with foil to make for easy clean up and I do not use a drip/H2O pan. I stablize the egg @ 250 dome temp a figure on about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per lbs.cooking time frame. There are lots of recipes to use but I use the following the most..... ½ cup Worcestershire sauce
    ¼ cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
    1 Tbs. garlic salt
    1 Tbs. black pepper
    1 Tbs. paprika
    1 Tbs. chili powder
    1 tsp. celery salt
    ¼ tsp. allspice
    ¼ tsp. thyme
    Pour Worcestershire sauce over brisket and rub it in. Mix other ingredients for the rub and season the brisket with the rub. I remove the brisket when the internal temp is 195 and wrap it in foil for at least 1 hour or more before serving. Another great reference is Dr. BBQ's book the recipe for brisket is good as well.

• lysa,
    Here is a page of hints and tips for brisket. As for rubs, if you don't want to make your own, try one of Dizzy Pig's or Bluesmoke's rubs. Good luck![p]TNW

[ul][li]Brisket Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    lysa,[p]Now that's a loaded question! There are so many ways to cook a brisket and you can buy the briskets two ways... whole with the point or just the flat.
    You can inject with a marinade or just rub and cook, foil halfway through the cook or no foil at all... everyone seems to have their own technique that works for them.
    Here are the very very basics:
    Buy a whole brisket, choice or prime if you can, or flat no less than 7 pounds, trim off most if not all the exterior fat, coat well with a peppery rub and cook indirect about 220-240 grate level for about 1.5-2 hours per pound. The cook time per pound is very general as sometimes it will take a good bit longer or a good bit less.
    When the internal temp at the thickest parts reach 185-190, pull off the cooker, seal well in heavy duty aluminum foil and place in a newspaper lined cooler for a few hours where it will continue to cook and stay very hot.
    After a couple hours, remove from foil, cut against the grain and serve. You can reserve the juices in the foil, skimming off the fat, and use for dipping or pouring over the slices.
    Again, this is very basic and folks do very well using different techniques.
    Go to links below and read how other folks do theirs..... good luck!
    John[p]http://new.cbbqa.com/faq/10-2-1.html[p]http://www.bbqsearch.com/search/recipe.htm

[ul][li]QFan does brisket.[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    lysa, I'd say "get ready for a journey". I have found that cooking a brisket is the most difficult thing in the world. My first attempt was pretty bad (dry and tough) but I have repeatedly tried and it's gotten much better. However, everytime I try some brisket from some of the real experts, I realize how much further I have to go. You might want to start with Elder Ward's submission but you also ought to buy drbbq's book and read how he does it.

[ul][li]Elder Ward's Brisket[/ul]
  • WooDoggies,[p]John,[p]That's really great advice. The only thing I would do different is not cut off the fat. Cut it off after the brisket is cooked. It's really easy that way. Great job with the "very, very basics."[p]Rod
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Thanks Rodney... all I've learned about bbqing brisket has come from this and the bbq forum, cooking with the dizzy pigs and gleaning the little nuggets of gold many of the experienced cooks occasionally throw out... like your how-to cook burnt ends from a couple months back on the bbq forum, for instance. [p]In the past when we've left a fat layer on the top of the brisket or the presentation side, we've found that hard-earned bark will fall off with the fat when we slice it. Do you have any suggestions on how to avoid losing the bark with the fat?
    Thanks.[p]John[p]

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    WooDoggies,[p]Just makes me want to cry when I lose that bark & spice and plate up a slice that's naked on one side!

• lysa,
    if you don't want to stay up all night (or get up to check it every few hours - unless you have a guru), try the "five hour" method[p]night before, coat your brisket heavily with sugar (white is ok here as it will all melt into the brisket). ..in the morning, rub your brisket with whatever rub you want to use (dizzy cowlick is a great choice as are drbbq's recipes). ...put the brisket in you egg with plenty of smoke at 250 degrees dome temp for 2 hours. .. .after 2 hours, remove the brisket, wrap it tight in a couple layers of foil, and put back in the egg for 3 more hours at 350 degrees dome temp (or until it hits 195 - 200 degrees internal temp - depending on size it may take even less than the additional 3 hours . ...remove it from the egg, leave foiled and wrapped in towels for a couple of more hours if possible (not necessary, but i find it helps), then slice and serve. ..save the juices from the foil. ..they are terrific served over the sliced meat. ..[p]this method will not turn your brisket to pot roast, although the texture is slightly different than a brisket that has simply been smoked all night long. . .and the 2 hours in the smoke will give you plenty of smoked flavor. ...HTH

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Wise One,
    This prompts me to ask a quetion. I have done two briskets so far and they also were only fair - not great. Still in my learning phase, I saw the internal go to about 170-180 and stayed there forever. I didn't know what to do at this stage so I figured maybe the thing was done. Subsequently reading this forum I discovered the concept of plateauing and that this was normal and that I should have kept on going until the temp reached 190-200. My question is what is the proper consistency of a properly cooked brisket? Should it be fork tender?[p]thanks,
    BrianP

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BrianP, I think it depends on who you ask but I certainly want it to be tender. IMHO it should be tough enough that a 1/4" slice will hang together but it should be tender enough that you can take a bite of that slice without tugging. Not all of mine have reached that criteria (mainly too tough) but the ones that I think are best have those characteristics. And they have a good flavor.

• WooDoggies,[p]This is a little late, but my only answer to that problem is not to apply run to the fat. It's a waste of good spices.[p]Keep up the good work.[p]Rod