Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem Fitting the Dome

Options
BlueSmoke
BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I replaced the gasket on our Large (spring assist hinge) yesterday. I took the dome band (only) off so I could remove the dome for better access to the body.[p]When I reseated the dome, it sat absolutely flat on the body - no gaps. I tightened the band and all was well. But now comes the curiosity.[p]When I open the dome and close it, there's a gap at about 10 to 10:30 (if the handle is at 6). The only way to eliminate the gap is to loosen the band and retighten it. But next time the dome is opened, there's the gap again.[p]Anybody else had this problem? How'd you resolve it?[p]TIA
Ken

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Hi Ken,
    Not sure if this will help but when I put my spring band on, I set the dome in place then I stacked placed two twenty pound weight plates plus a ten pound plate on top of the dome to hold it down so it wouldn't pull up when tightening the band.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Dos Huevos
    Options
    New Bob,[p]I had my brother in law all but sitting atop my large when I put the bands back on. [p]Someone posted a nice pic of using two big clamps and a 2x4 across the top to do the job. [p]Anyone remember who that was?[p]Todd
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    Dos Huevos,
    Thanks (Bob too), but that's not the source of the problem. When I check after tightening the band, there's zero gap. Only after opening (and closing) the dome does the gap appear.[p]Ken

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Wonder if the band is tweaked, was it like that before????[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    Don't know if it would work or not but I would try loosening and tightening both bands.[p]Oh - also make sure the bolts and nuts are tight in the hinge its self. My dome was doing strange things until I discovered one of the bolts to a spring was loose.[p]Toy Man
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    it was I who used the clamps - let's see if I can post the pix here on the new board... IMG_0415.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dos Huevos
    Options
    Toy Man,[p]Mine too. My hinge wouldn't hold up the lid until I tighted the bolt attached to the left spring (looking from the front) and then my dome was perfect.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    P1010047.jpg
    <p />BlueSmoke,[p]I resorted to this...once the top is fitted and[p]clamped...then tighten both top and bottom bands [p]alternately.[p]HTH!![p]Evans[p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • BlueSmoke
    Options
    New Bob,
    Looking at the smoke/scorch on the old gasket, I believe the gap was there before.[p]Ken

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    I have had the same happen to me on 2 of them. I ended up changing the bands on both. One works fine and the other does exactly what you mention AGAIN !!!
    When I use the second egg, I just push down on it really hard to realign it. Its aggrevating because I took it off and put it on about 10 times and just gave up. When i have time and double the patience, I'll try again. If you find the answer please let me know.

• BlueSmoke
    Options
    Chef Wil,
    My "quick fix" is to loosen the dome band slightly, pull up on the plate part of the hinge, and then re-tighten the band. I'd like to find something permanent, but this does work.[p]Ken

• BlueSmoke,[p]Sounds like you forgot to turn your clocks back.[p]B

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BlueSmoke, Well here is my doing. I replaced the gasket the other day. First thing I did was remove the rear sprins from the hinge while someone was holding the dome up. Next was lower the lid slowly and loosen both bolts. I did the gasket remove and replacement. I put the band back on and then the top. I tighten the bolts, bottom pretty tight before the top. As the top band was getting tight I used a large screwdriver to keep pushing the top band up the dome edge to keep it as high as possible. After the I got bands good and tight I checked the movement without the springs being attached. Once I was happy, I had someone hold the dome all the way up and I put the springs back on. Its all perfectly square and no gaps.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chubby,[p]I had a similar problem and I used one of those ratchet cargo straps. I lined up the dome with the base and wrapped the nylon strap around the Egg. I did put a cloth under the ratchet to avoid scratches, then sucked everything down tight, then tightened down the bands.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    Maybe you can double up on the gasket where the gap is?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • BlueSmoke,
    i had a similar problem two weeks ago i ended up loosening both bands. my egg has a place on it where you can lock the bands into place when the lid is closed. i locked them into place and then tightened them both up at the same rate this seemed to do the trick and i was able to smoke a turkey this past weekend. hope to be a help