Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Great Baked Bean Recipe

Gretl
Gretl Posts: 670
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is from Joe Wells, Univ. of Arkansas, who posted this recently on the Food/Wine Discussion List. This is an awesome combination of good flavors, and just begs to be tampered with, depending on your taste. I made it in the BGE, using a large LeCreuset pot over a platesetter. I just had a bowl for lunch. Oh, man.....[p]

Joe's Afterburner Beans[p]1 pound bacon chopped
1 pound smoked pork butt or pork chops (I used leftover pulled pork)
2 onion diced (I like onions)
4 good size garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar (I skipped this, as it seemed too sweet for my taste)
1 cup favorite BBQ sauce (I have used homemade from Dr BBQ's book, and Sweet Baby Ray's)
3 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons mustard powder (I use prepared)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons ground New Mex chilis (I didn't have, so I skipped it and added more chili powder)
2 tablespoons ground chipotle (I used some chipotles in adobo)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (yeah, right...I use much more)
1 pound pintos cooked with bay leaves and coarse chopped onion
(I found a bag of Ken Stone's Smoked Pintos. Couldn't be beat!!)[p]
Drain pintos and brown meat and onion together and save the bacon grease to put in the beans. Mix remaining ingredients. Blend all and bake at 350 degrees from 30 minutes up to 2 hours, covered. The longer you bake this, the better it is.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Gretl,[p]MY MY MY...I am shamelessly drooling all over my keyboard!![p]I'm doing a Butt tonight...and this is a worthy destination for some it!![p]I wanted to use some Bertoli Beans...you think they would work instead od the pintos?[p]Evans[p]Tell me about the Ken Stone Smoked Pintos?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Gretl,
    Thank you...thank you[p]Just yesterday I posted a cry for a veggie recipe for a home owners picnic this weekend. I betcha that one WORKS!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Chubby,
    Better ask Ken (BlueSmoke) himself. I ordered some of his dried smoked pintos more than a year ago and enjoyed them immensely, both baked and in chili. We moved recently and I was pleasantly surprised to find a one-pound bag in the pantry. They were wonderful in the Afterburner recipe. But what are Bertoli beans? I'm sure they'd work just fine. Any dried bean, I'm guessing, would work for this recipe...even black beans would be good. HTH.
    Cheers,
    G.