Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any breads that shouldn't be done on baking stone?

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been tempted to cook some focaccia on my plate setter and baking stone combo. However, when I've made this loaf in the regular oven I've drizzled quite a bit of olive oil over the top. If I did this on the BGE, would the olive oil run down into the stone and mess it up? I know I can't wash the stone, so I was worried that olive oil could be absorbed by it and get rancid.[p]Am I just being too much of a worrier?

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    Eggtuary,
    I have to ask - how much oil runs off the top in the "regular" oven? And how do you clean it up?[p]As far as olive oil ruining the pizza stone, not to worry. 1) It won't mess up the stone, and 2) you Can wash the stone in warm soapy water. Heck, if you wanted to, you could run the pizza stone through the dishwasher.[p]High-fire, i.e. vitrified, ceramic (aka the pizza stone) will not wick water. If there's a crack in the stone, water Will get in there, and poses a danger of cracking the stone the next time it's heated.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]I Make the Mac Grill version - it is AWESOME on the grill. Do not be afraid to oil it up, You do not want to pour a whole bottle or anything, afterall if it runs off the stone it will flame. BUT I have oil mine very well, you will get smoke if you oil too much, so try not to make too big a mess. As for the stone turning rancid, the oil will burn off, also the stone is sanatized everytime you preheat it on your egg - I have NEVER had any problems - Relax - egg away!!!
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    BlueSmoke,
    In the oven, I cook my focaccia in cake pans, so I've never had to worry about olive oil running off.[p]Is it really okay to wash the pizza stone? I thought I read on here a couple of times that doing so would impart an "off" taste from the suds that won't completely wash out.[p]Thanks!