Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Questions

Options
Timbo
Timbo Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just bought my BGE last Saturday and did some St. Louis Ribs on Sunday. I've got a few questions that will hopefully make my future BBQs better:[p]1. Any general tips for doing ribs? I removed the membrane, cut the rack in half, applied mustard & a rub, smoked at 225-235 for 2 hours rib side down then 1 hour meat side down. The ribs were tasty but on the dry side. I'm considering a rack (to be able to do more ribs) in the future.[p]2. I'm planning a shoulder this Saturday. I've got a few questions about that as well:[p]2a. Does pork shoulder = boston butt?
2b. How/why does one debone it?
2c. I was planning on a simple rub & going long + slow (225-250). Pros/cons and what should I expect for a cooking time for an 8 pounder?[p]Thanks in advance,
Tim

Comments

• Smokin' Todd
    Options
    Timbo,
    According to your profile you reside in Allentown and thats only about an hr from this wekkends' PA Eggfest. If ya can come on down and have some rookie questions answered hands on!
    ST

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Timbo,[p]Congrats on the newest edition to your family![p]Your rib problem was simply not enough cooking time at too low a temp. 250-275 will work better for you. Pork spares or trimmed to St. Louis style need more like 5 hours of cooking time, maybe more. When I do a single rack, I will flip them both top to bottom and front to back every 45 minutes. You will know they are done when they bend and break when picked up from the middle. [p]Butt and shoulder are two different components from the same part of the hog. The shoulder is the upper portion and butt the lower. Opinions vary on which produces better pulled pork. Leave the bone in for more flavor. It will simply "twist out" when the meat is done.[p]Allow at least 16-18 hours for your 8 pounder. When the roast begins to collapse on itself, you are ready for some great eating.[p]K~G

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Timbo,
    Congrats on the new eggdition. I hope you have alot of time on your hands because you have now entered the Egging Zone. As far as the ribs go you may want to try the 3-1-1.5 method (see link below) or try Dr. BBQ's recipie in his book. [p]2a: Butt and shoulder question see AskAButcher.com for a better answer that I can give you at http://askabutcher.proboards42.com/index.cgi?board=pork&action=display&thread=1121943777[p]2B:Do not debone the butt/shoulder prior to cooking it. The bone will give the meat flavor. Cook the pork at 225 deg. indirect for approx. 2 hrs. per pound. This is only a estimate as I have had butts cook in less time (1 1/2 hrs) and the same cut needed the full 2 hours. When the meat reaches a internal temp of 195 deg. it give up its bone real easy when you start to pull it. So for the 8 pounder I would plan on 16 hrs. If the meat reaches the 195 temp before you want to serve it wrap the meat whole not pulled in double foil and place it in a warmer cooler covered with blankets. The meat will stay for hours this way. If you hjave any questions just give a shout.

[ul][li]Ribs 3-1-1.5 method[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    Timbo,
    the ribs go from dry looking to moist if you cook them longer. i start checking at about 5 hours and take them off at about 6-7 hours going direct at those dome temps.for your pulled pork, things will go smoother on your first try if you follow elder wards methods in the recipe section. make sure to print out all 4 parts.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Timbo,
    Shoulder does not equal butt. The butt is the upper end of the shoulder. The lower part of the shoulder towards the leg is called the picnic. So, a shoulder is actually two cuts of meat. Leave the bone in for cooking. When you pull it, the meat will come off the bone as easily as can be. I have a lot of pork anatomical terms on my website:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Glossary entry for [/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Groundfish
    Options
    Timbo,[p]Did you cook the ribs direct or indirect?[p]I cook st. louis ribs on a grill extender over an old cake pan. They stay bone side down for 3 to 4 hours depending on the temperature humpty wants to be at that day (250º +/- ~15º) with a couple chunks of smoking wood. sometimes i may put some liquid in the pan sometimes not. i do the mustard rub followed with a dry rub. that method works wonderful for me. [p]i prefer butts over picnics. there is usually more unedible weight with the picnic(skin and bone). if picnics are .60 cents a lb i buy them though. i always leave the bone in. i also cook them as set up for the st. louis ribs except i use more smoking wood (hickory and cherry) mixed all thru the lump. make sure you fill 1/3 to 1/2 into the fire ring. you are looking at 16+ hours on that cook. (unless you're fire gets hot on you, then it could be much less. i prefer to go to 200º internal on butts. there is still too much fat for my preference when i pull them at 195º. a remote thermometer is really handy for low and slow cooks.[p]good luck

• billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    On your rib question, slightly higher heat 250, and I do mine indirect for three hours, then 1 hour wrapped in foil and then the final hour spreading a little sauce (3/1/1) The wrapping it in the foil will give you much juicer ribs. Although many don't prefer it that way. And to make yourself feel like a real pro, follow Dr BBQ's advice and occasionly spray the ribs with a little apple juice (his book has some other simple spray mixes and is required reading) The only problem I have with his book is that it is turning out to be very expensive. Every time one of my friends see it or ask for a recipe, I end up saying I'll get it for them for Christmas)

Good cooking

billg
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    KennyG,
    Nice to see you here.
    R&J

• Timbo,[p]2) - Check my recipes at http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0361.htm (for the brine, rub, smoker prep, and smoking instructions) & http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/pork0362.htm (for the vinegar sauce & slaw recipes). [p]However, you are going to have to start today. My recipe recommends a three day process (1st day, prep smoker & brine the butts, 2nd day put the rub on the butts, 3rd day smoke the butts). First, go get some more butts. If you have a medium, you can smoke at least two, MAYBE three butts at one time. If you have a large, you can get four on. Pulled pork freezes REALLY well (that is assuming you have any left. It goes really fast) and is extremely versatile - you can make tacos, enchiladas, casseroles, & pulled pork sandwiches later with little extra work.[p]Second, brine them butts. I've got a large cooler I only use for brining butts & keeping them cold while they sit with the rub. Unless you've got lots of refrigerator space, a cooler is a big help.[p]Third, if you want the butts ready on Saturday around supper time, you need to put them on late Friday night. They should be ready anytime from early afternoon to just before supper.[p]2a)The pork shoulder is really two different cuts of meat - the picnic and the Boston Butt, but most grocery stores don't take the time to distinguish them. The picnic (sometimes called a "picnic ham" to distinguish it from the real "ham", which comes from the back legs) is the lower part of the upper front legs. It contains the shoulder joint and part of the upper leg bone. The Boston butt is from the actual shoulder of pig and contains part of the shoulder blade. (If you are in doubt as which one you are being sold, press down in the meat to feel the bones to determine if you have a ball joint or the blades).[p]2b)There is no benefit of deboning a butt if you are going to smoke it low & slow. If you were baking it, then deboning the butt would allow you to increase the surface area that receives heat and decrease the thickness - thereby decreasing the cooking time. However, when going low and slow, you want the bone in there to contribute flavor and help keep the butt together.[p]2c)Low & slow is the ONLY way to properly cook a butt for pulled pork. However, it does take a lot of preparation and watching of the smoker. Depending on the temperatures outside, you may have to be really serious about properly stacking the charcoal in the smoker (the colder the air coming in the bottom vent - the hotter the fire has to burn to achieve the desired temperatures - the more charcoal you burn through on low & slow). Second, start the fires small and bring them up to your optimum temperature (~220 degrees), don't try to get them up high and bring them down. Third, you will adjust your temperatures with small adjustments of the daisy wheel on the metal cap on top (You do have a metal top don't you? It is much easier to adjust the temperature with the metal top), not the bottom vent. The bottom vent will end up (within a hour of starting) being open 1/8th to 1/4th of inch (depending on your external temperatures, colder air = hotter fire = more air being drawn through the smoker to get your desired dome temperature). Also, as you get more serious about doing low & slow cooking, get a Maverick ET-73 remote thermometer. The ET-73 has a probe that replaces your dome thermometer and alerts you when the dome temperature drops too low (a problem during cold fall/winter nights.[p]Good luck with the smoking this weekend.