Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed Mushrooms +

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]For the Labor Day meal I did some appetizers of stuffed portabellos. I had seen quite a few others do these, but never did print out a recipe so I had to wing it. For the stuffing I browned some sweet Italian sausage, mixed the sausage with shredded mozzarella mixed with garlic asiago cheese and some pieces of prosciutto. First I brushed the mushrooms with some balsamic vinegarette dressing and put on the grill, gill side down, just to get some browning and smoke. Then I added the sausage mixture and back on the Egg:[p]P9050052.jpg[p]Just before putting them back on the grill I put a couple of small slices of fresh mozzarella. This is just before taking them off:[p]P9050054.jpg[p]Also, baked three Vidalia onions (topped with DP Raging River)[p]P9050053.jpg[p]I wasn't able to get any pictures after everything came off the Egg as everyone made them disappear too fast.[p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• SSN686,
    Wow Jay, those look great. Tell me about the onions. Did you just peel them and put them on the grill whole? It looks like they are in a baking dish, with liquid? Time and Temp?[p]Thanks,[p]Larry

• SSN686
    Morning Brutus:[p]For the onions I slice a small amount off of each end to allow it to set flat, then remove the skin. I then remove a small amount of the core, put a couple pats of butter in the hole and sprinkle with DP Raging River. If I am only doing one I usually wrap in aluminum foil, but since I did three this time I just put them in a pyrex baking dish and covered with foil. The baking dish is placed on the platesetter (feet down) and pizza stone for about 70 to 90 minutes at 300 to 350. The only "liquid" is from the butter. For serving I ususally just cut into quarters and separate the layers. People then spoon some on a plate and enjoy. HTH[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Those onions are a great! For a nice French onion soup flavor, try putting a beef boullion cube in with your butter. Outstanding![p]Jim
  • SSN686
    Morning JSlot:[p]I agree about the beef boullion. In the past I have done some with a spoonful of the boullion, but this time I just wanted something different.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• What is DP Raging River? Is it a rub? No luck on Google'n it. Thanks!
  • what is ...... ?,[p]It's something you need a LOT of. [p]Go check out this link:
    [ul][li]Dizzy Pig BBQ[/ul]