Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dr. BBQ's Shortcut Brisket

Options
Eggtuary
Eggtuary Posts: 400
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Per Dr. BBQ's advice, I'm going to use one of his quicker recipes to cook the flat I've got for tomorrow. I notice, though, that his shorter recipes say to rest the brisket for only a half hour after pulling it off the cooker, rather than the 3 to 5 hours he recommends for his Competition Brisket. [p]My question: Does he only recommend the half hour rest in the cooler because the whole idea of the recipe is to get the brisket done as quickly as possible? Or is there something about cooking a brisket so fast that makes it a bad idea to let it rest a long time?[p]The reason I ask is that I can only make the timing work (between going to church and everything) if I can rest the brisket a couple of hours after it's done.[p]As always, I appreciate the help of all the experts here!

Comments

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]A couple hours will be fine.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    drbbq,
    Excellent! Thanks for getting back to me. I've already made the Big Cow Beef Injection (name cracks me up every time), and I've got your rub ready to go.[p]Looking forward to dazzling more people with your excellent recipes![p]Thanks again,
    Mike

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Eggtuary,[p]Let us know how it turns out.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Eggtuary
    Options
    drbbq,
    Well, I did the Shortcut recipe today. I know you've said a couple of times that this recipe is much better than the Competition recipe when cooking just the flat, but I enjoyed the Competition one more. However, several factors may have contributed to the difference:[p]1) When I left my Egg for the longest part of the cook, I made the mistake of overcompensating to bring down the temp. When I got back home, the Egg was at 230F dome temp, so it took a good bit longer than 3 to 4 hours to hit 160F internal.[p]2) I may not have cooked it quite long enough. As soon as I pulled the brisket at the end, the internal temp dropped pretty quickly from 200F to about 188F. That tells me I probably had the Polder's probe too close to the surface of the meat, and that perhaps the thickest part of the meat would have registered a lower temp. Can't wait to get my Thermapen sometime this week![p]3) I used plain Wyler's bouillon granules to make my beef broth. I wonder if using better quality broth would result in a better taste.[p]4) I had a cup of the rub I made up a while back and assumed this would be plenty. I'm thinking I might have been better off making more and applying more heavily.[p]Bottom line: I'll have to give this recipe another try, making sure I address all of the problems I describe above.[p]Thanks again for all your help![p]Mike