Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-rex?????

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is 'T-Rex'??

Comments

• The Reverand
    Options
    CJ,[p]the link provided by "Squeeze" to TNW site is very comprehensive. I've done several TRexed steaks and I've tried different cuts, etc., but I don't have the porter mustard TRex mentions. On my first try I used the wrong steak (a porterhouse), no mustard, etc., and it was still one of the best steaks I, or my family ever had. My son had just had his braces tightened that day and his teeth really hurt, BUT, he scarfed down that steak and said it was the best ever, and he was absolutely right, better than Mortons, the Palm, Sam and Harry's by far.[p]TRex replied to my post and said that he was having trouble finding the mustard he likes and he's gone without. I've never used mustard, since the first try was so fantastic; all I've tried is different meat cuts. [p]For what it is worth, what I think is important in all this is,[p]1) get the steak cut 2 inches thick, regardless of the type of steak.
    2) use Kosher salt only (and use quite a bit)
    3) sear for 90 minutes per side (some do this lid up, I do it lid closed, I don't know which is best, I think TRex does his lid up). Temps over 700 degrees (now that I've replaced the cheapo Chinese-made thermometer that came with my egg,which read only to 700 and filled with water when it rained) for a TruTemp (something actually made in the US, real quality) I see that the temp I use is about 750 degrees, dome temp.
    4) let the steak set for 20 minutes per the instructions[p]I've found that my egg gets down to only about 450 or so after 20 minutes, and my rule of thumb is 4 minutes per side at the reduced temp, but that will vary depending on how cold the meat was and how you like it. ALSO, since you've shut down air flow, read, if you haven't already, about flashback on The Naked Whiz site or elsewhere; just be sure to take steps (like opening vents, burping the lid, etc. before you open the lid!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I find that, for my preference, I cook to an internal temp of 117 degrees (speaking of which a ThermaPen is indispensable and, if you haven't already bought one and want to get in on a great deal, see if MollyShark's offer of a few days ago on this forum is still on; if not, and no, you can go to the Thermapen website. After I finally sprang for the $85 Thermapen and started using it I honestly don't know how I got along without).[p]5) Let that wee bit 'o meat rest a few minutes and then enjoy.
    6) Thank whoever, or what ever you pray to for TRex, The Naked Whiz, Rumrunner, Squeeze, and... well the list is just way too long...all the true masters who post to this website and help us young 'uns enjoy such simple, elegant, and tasty delights[p]Peace,

• LasVegasMac
    Options
    The Reverand,[p]sear for 90 minutes per side???[p]LOL[p]LVM

• The Reverand
    Options
    LasVegasMac,[p]Nice catch!! That would be one well done waste of money, time, charcoal, gasket, and the goodwill of neighbors. [p]You know I thought I had read that over before I sent it. I hope CJ realizes I meant seconds!![p]Thanks again,[p]Bob
  • The Reverand,
    Thanks for the great input, and no I didn't catch the 90 MIN sear, but probably would have eventually, but did read T-Rexs post and your follow up.
    I have only used my Egg 3 times, all of which have been the slow and 225º, so I have not experienced a 'flash back', nor do I think I want to!! Therefore I'm wondering if instead of going through all the searing on the Egg, why not just do the cast-iron skillet searing on the stove (cheating?), then to the Egg for the lower cook? Seems that would be about the same as the skillet on the Egg with the lid up??
    Thanks again for the comprehensive response! CJ

• The Reverand
    Options
    CJ,[p]I am sorry if I scared you. I have never experienced flashback, but wanted you to be aware. I usually just open the daisy wheel top for a minute or so, then "burp" the egg lid to let in some air, then open the lid.[p]I never used to do these things, so I may be lucky I never had a problem. However you will most likely find yourself doing a cook sometime when you shut down the egg for a bit. I would recommend getting into the habit of opening your egg cautiously (and it becomes a habit, just like learning to drive a stick shift or a motorcycle). Then the habit becomes natural and you don't even think about it.[p]As to the cast iron on stove bit: If you could get the cast iron hot enough (and you possibly could) to do the sear you would smoke everyone out of the house. Paul Prodhomme actually invented a method of cooking, "blackening" originally served in his restaurant, K Paul, on Chartres Street in New Orleans. He first used redfish, a local fish and, the redfish supply began to dry up as everyone tried to do it. He came out several times in several media to explain the cooking method, and how it needed to be done outside, since copycats tried the method inside and either: 1) smoked everyone out of the house, or 2) ended up with burned fish, or, usually, both.[p]Most people don't have the right equipment to do "blackening" right. I've tried lots of "blackened" stuff but, no one does it like the succulent blackened tuna at K Paul. You've got the tools to make fantastic TRexed steaks (but remember 90 SECONDS per side, not 90 minutes per side (talk about "blackened").[p]I hapen to like the presentation with grill marks, which cast iron won't give you, but some folks do use cast iron on the egg; doing so still means you'd need to exercize a bit of caution after you remove the cast iron and the steak and slow down the egg.[p]My family accuses me of being a safety nut, and I guess perception is reality. That said, if you develop the habit of always opening your egg with a bit of caution, you'll be fine and you'll be happy to have added a skill to your resume.[p]One cooking device (egg),
    one source of fuel,
    one new skill,
    one steak or dual,
    Happy faces all around