Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bistec Mostaza a la TRex

Options
wdan
wdan Posts: 261
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Some of us were chatting awhile back about who was still following the original, original TRex steak instructions that included slathering the meat with mustard before searing. The general consensus was that the mustard tended to stick to the grill and because of it, many folks abandoned the practice. The shame of it all is that mustard really enhances the taste of steak...so how to get it to stick...so to speak?[p]I used to travel on business to Mexico and on more than one occasion, ate at restaurants that offered Bistec Mostaza (Steak with mustard sauce). Some venues involved cooking on tabletop hibatchis while others just served it already cooked from the kitchen. No matter, it was always good. So much so, that I've developed more than one recipe at home trying to duplicate the flavor I experienced on my trips. [p]Here's my latest attempt I did on the egg a couple nights ago:
Melt in sauce pan: 3 Tbl Butter
Saute till nearly clear: 1 med Onion (halved and sliced thin)
Add & stri about 30 seconds: 2 cloves Garlic (minced)[p]Stir in and make into a roux: 2 Tbl Flour[p]Stri in and make into a white sauce: 1/2 C. White Wine
1/2 C. Water[p]Reduce heat and stir in: 1, 4.5 oz. can chopped Green Chiles
1 Tbl White Vinegar
2 Tbl Prepared Yellow Mustard
1 tsp Chile Powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Gnd Black Pepper
Remove from heat and let cool to room temp.[p]Follow usual TRex searing directions. When pulled off to rest, slather both sides of steaks with the mustard sauce.[p]When steaks are returned to the grill for the 400-degree roast, re-slather the side that was exposed to the coals after it is flipped.

Comments