Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rodney Scott Spatchcock Turkey Article

Options
Came across this Food and Wine article today on Rodney Scott using a BGE at home for spatchcock turkey.

https://www.foodandwine.com/cooking-techniques/thanksgiving-smoked-turkey-bbq-how-to 
XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
Memphis  

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Thanks for the read...Who knew?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2020
    Options
    “At home, I always use a Big Green Egg, which holds temperature really well and infuses amazing smoke flavor,” he says. The other secret to those impossibly juicy birds? “I really like Butterball turkeys because they cook consistently no matter where we are in the country.”

Hey, everyone deserves some guilt-free shilling from time to time. Good on him for getting 2 paychecks in 1 advertisement article. 

I'm curious why he cuts down the breast bone instead of the back. That puts the breasts, the part that's most likely to overcook, closest to the heat. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    SonVolt said:

I'm curious why he cuts down the breast bone instead of the back. That puts the breasts, the part that's most likely to overcook, closest to the heat. 

Actually, in the video, he cuts the backbone, without removing it.  In the picture instructions, the breast is split.

Guaranteed dry white meat...

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    “At home, I always use a Big Green Egg, which holds temperature really well and infuses amazing smoke flavor,” he says. The other secret to those impossibly juicy birds? “I really like Butterball turkeys because they cook consistently no matter where we are in the country.”

Hey, everyone deserves some guilt-free shilling from time to time. Good on him for getting 2 paychecks in 1 advertisement article. 

In video he cuts down the back bone.  I think the print got the description a little confused.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.