Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How To Align Egg When Smoke Comes Out the Back

I have a M with a new hinge, I did a hot clean, now it smokes out of the back.  How do I adjust to make the back top align with the bottom?
L, M, MM "These pretzels are making me thirsty"

Comments

• open the egg, and remove the springs on the side of your medium bands.  Once that is done, carefully close the dome and observe if you have proper alignment with the dome and base.  If you do, your dome and/or base probably have the band either two high or too low in its position on the ceramic. I loosen the lower band carriage bolt on the back, put my base band just below the gasket, and tighten it.  Then I loosen the upper band, and position the band so that it is the width of the blue spacers that come with the band assembly.  If this throws the base and dome out of alignment, or they aren't aligning, loosen the acorn nuts on the adjuster where the springs were.  This will allow you to move the dome back and forth to get alignment.  Tighten those bolts back up, as well as the carriage bolt for the dome, and then reinstall the springs.  Hope this helps.
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    @cookingdude555 Ok, great explanation, thank you.  Here's what I'm doing, then it doesn't work:

1. I positioned the bands like you said, lower one first, then upper to match the blue spacers.

The back still has space.

2.  So, I then loosened the acorn nuts to adjust accordingly, but when I tightened the acorn nuts back it threw the alignment out and the back still has space.

What now?
  • garthb4903
    garthb4903 Posts: 115
    Ok, I get to the spot where:

1. the spring is unhooked.
    2. the dome is aligned with the base.
    3. the carriage bolts are now tightened and there good alignment. (the acorn nuts are still loose).  So far so good.

BUT THEN, I tighten the acorn nuts, and the back raises.