Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef cheeks pulled. PICS! 🥩

First time doing beef cheeks. Kind of messed up like many cooks when I take them off and eat them before taking photos. But anyway. 

4 cheeks. First time cooking them. Take a while to trim maybe 6-10 mins a piece. Pitt cue rub. I smoked at 135c for around 4hrs which brought them to about 90c. Then I took off and put in a small tray with onions and beef gravy. Foiled over the tray and put back on for about 2-3hrs. Rested about 40mins. Forgot to probe at end of cook. 

I went to slice them but they just fell apart. They were incredible! I decided to pull, mixing in some of the gravy and onions. Bark was great. Not sure they’d had been so tender if not put in a foiled tray for the final few hours. 

A friend had baked brioche buns and so we had em in those. Would definitely do again. Brisket flavour in a fraction of the cook time. 

Comments

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Didn’t strictly follow a method but this is the closest method I followed https://howtobbqright.com/2019/10/31/beef-cheek-tacos/
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    Nailed it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Looks tasty as Fvck!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Wow, they look amazing!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Those look really good. I’m a fan of beef cheeks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That looks fantastic. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Beautiful!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Don't think I've ever seen beef cheeks around here; that looks amazing!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Fantastic! Awesome cook. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    looks pretty good from here!

That looks amazing. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Botch said:
    Don’t remember seeing them in the store either, but wasn’t looking.
    Guess I need to look a little harder.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TheToast
    Photo Egg said:
    Botch said:
    Don’t remember seeing them in the store either, but wasn’t looking.
    Guess I need to look a little harder.
    I asked the butcher for them and he had to get them in
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    @TheToast Have you tried pig cheeks? I got some from Turner and George and braised them, bloody lovely.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• TheToast
    @TheToast Have you tried pig cheeks? I got some from Turner and George and braised them, bloody lovely.
    Was looking through old comments and saw this. No! But I will. What was your method?
  • TheToast said:
    Was looking through old comments and saw this. No! But I will. What was your method?
    @TheToast here you go:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2018/11/09/braised-pig-cheeks/

This is a pic of them braising:

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,908
    Outstanding!   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I’ve never seen that cut. I guess I need to ask my butcher.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    SHHhhhhhhhhhh........!
    Stop telling everybody how good beef cheeks can be! There are just two per animal. 
    Smoke beef cheeks that are then braised or cooked confit are rich and beefy. It takes a long time to break down the collagen and connective tissue but it’s worth the effort. 
    Also, beef cheeks can look nasty when they come from the store unless the butcher has trimmed them. They require a lot of trimming. 
    I only cook them a couple of times per year but (to me) they make incredible tacos. They are maybe the one cut I like better than pork carnitas. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TheToast
    SciAggie said:

Also, beef cheeks can look nasty when they come from the store unless the butcher has trimmed them. They require a lot of trimming. 

Oh man the trimming. It took me way too long - perhaps 10+ mins per cheek x4 to trim these, having never done it before. All forgotten by the time I was eating them though