Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First SRF gold brisket

Well I decided to celebrate my first Father’s Day with my first SRF brisket.  Here goes nothing!  I have done 5 or so prime Costco briskets and each one has gotten better and better. Wish me luck! Rubbed down with Meatchurch Holy Cow. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Standing by anxiously for the finale my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    Way to celebrate in exceptional style.  Livin the high-life for sure. Nothing like going for the mother lode right out of the SRF gate.  Congrats!
    Couple of insights-make sure you have a good sized air-gapped drip pan as the renderings are impressive.  Also, I would start checking for "doneness" at around 190*F (although I doubt it will happen) in the thickest part of the flat then around every 20-30 minutes til you are there.  It likely will not release til the low 200's*F but ...
    You are in for a true meat coma event with the richness like you have never experienced.  Above all, have fun.  As you intimated, the process is the same regardless of the pedigree.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JKellar
    JKellar Posts: 91

lousubcap said:
    Way to celebrate in exceptional style.  Livin the high-life for sure. Nothing like going for the mother lode right out of the SRF gate.  Congrats!
    Couple of insights-make sure you have a good sized air-gapped drip pan as the renderings are impressive.  Also, I would start checking for "doneness" at around 190*F (although I doubt it will happen) in the thickest part of the flat then around every 20-30 minutes til you are there.  It likely will not release til the low 200's*F but ...
    You are in for a true meat coma event with the richness like you have never experienced.  Above all, have fun.  As you intimated, the process is the same regardless of the pedigree.  

Thank you for this advice! I have never had one of the Costco briskets release at 190 so was planning to start checking closer to 200. I will start earlier to make sure it doesn’t go past the sweet spot. I just wrapped it all up in its butcher paper nest at 165 and will let it go from here
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Great 0229 update!  Please keep us posted!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Atta Boy!!  Can wait to see the money shot!!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• JKellar
    Well the train hit a bump but is back on course. Egg fell to 195 when the brisket was at 196.  That caused the brisket to fall down to 191 before I got the egg back up to temp. Hopefully that won’t cause any harm. 

Side note any idea how you make sure the charcoal doesn’t get stuck from collapsing down? There was plenty in there and as soon as I poked it it settled and the heat came back. 
  • lousubcap
    Regarding the burn pattern, I have only experienced one straight down burn that led to a loss of the fire with plenty of fuel.  If doing a L&S cook I will load a few larger pieces of lump on the bottom and then just load it up into the ring area.  Having smaller pieces will help bridge the fire and keep it moving especially given the relatively small amount of lump under ignition.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JKellar
    lousubcap said:
    Regarding the burn pattern, I have only experienced one straight down burn that led to a loss of the fire with plenty of fuel.  If doing a L&S cook I will load a few larger pieces of lump on the bottom and then just load it up into the ring area.  Having smaller pieces will help bridge the fire and keep it moving especially given the relatively small amount of lump under ignition.  FWIW-
    Makes sense will have to give that a try. Any thoughts on negative impacts from the temp drop?
  • JJensen
    JJensen Posts: 58
    looking good! Congrats on your first Fathers Day also!
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Looks like a sample is missing from that top corner.  How was it?
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • JKellar
    buzzvol said:
    Looks like a sample is missing from that top corner.  How was it?
    Hahaha unfortunately it was just a piece of fat that broke off when I was getting the paper off. I have not tried it yet it was a great test of will power. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Great looking meteorite!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Damn that looks awesome.  I was tempted to try a SRF this Father's Day, so watching this closely!  Looks like you did a fantastic job!
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Be ready for a true meat coma experience once you hit that.  The richness will be like you have never experienced.  Lookin good right there.
    What your finish temp in the flat?
  • JKellar
    lousubcap said:
    Be ready for a true meat coma experience once you hit that.  The richness will be like you have never experienced.  Lookin good right there.
    What your finish temp in the flat?
    Pulled it at 202. Let it drop to 200 and then foiled and put into the cooler. Got further into the brisket and it just keeps getting better
  • Looks fantastic. Congrats on a home run. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    That is the way to bring it home.  Congrats on nailing the cook!  That is the Father's Day winner right there.  
    Now that you have been to the top of the SRF mountain, you can slow the pain by opting for the SRF black grade next time.   B)