Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Table Wood Question

Options
I'm about to build a table for my kamado so I can move it closer to the house on the patio instead of out at my shop.  I plan to use 4x4 posts on the corners, 2x4 bracing and 1x4 boards for shelving and doors.  I've built several sets of indoor cabinets and raised panel doors so building the table will be easy.  I don't know what type of wood to use.  Everything on the deck and patio is either black or gray so my wife wants the table finished out with a black finish so it will either be painted black or stained if I can get black stain dark enough.  I don't want to use treated wood.  I can find 4x4 douglas fir posts but not dimensional lumber and I can find 1x4 cedar boards but no 2x4's or posts.  The table will be on casters and on a patio so it won't be directly on the ground but I live in a very hot and humid area.  Thoughts?

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Check you PM's. I have sent you a note. Cyprus is the best wood for the low Country environment in my opinion. You will need to protect it from the UV Rays.....if exposed to the elements / sun.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Personally, if those were my choices and you had a way to resaw the wood, I would buy all 4x4 douglas fir and resaw the smaller dimensions.  I have done this many times, even with 4x4 douglas fir.

Don't worry about wood durability if you finish the wood.
    Personally, if those were my choices and you had a way to resaw the wood, I would buy all 4x4 douglas fir and resaw the smaller dimensions.  I have done this many times, even with 4x4 douglas fir.

Don't worry about wood durability if you finish the wood.
    Haven’t thought about that but it makes sense to rip down the 4x4’s.