Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quarantine Cook

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
edited March 2020 in EggHead Forum
Picked up some Prime Tri-tip steaks at the commissary. Rubbed with some Merken that I picked up when my kid and I went hiking in Patagonia. Into the hot tub at 132 F, will sear on a hot egg later. Sides will be a cucumber, heirloom tomato, onion and mozzarella salad with a balsamic vinaigrette, and grilled asparagus. More pics to follow as this comes together. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice cook!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a fine looking meal. The saffron rice was a good call!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    Options
    Nice looking cool right there.  
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I think I need to make saffron rice now...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Fantastic! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome!  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Don't you need to grow your own Crocus sativus first, then dry and crush the flower stigmas and styles?  =) 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Islandpressure
    Options
    Go Big Blue!!! New member in Florida. Lived in Lexington from 1st grade through college. Most my family went to uk and father worked there!!!!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    SciAggie said:
    Don't you need to grow your own Crocus sativus first, then dry and crush the flower stigmas and styles?  =) 
    Maybe a trip to Spain and gather it in the mountains when all this madness is over...
    Edit: Apparently my climate is suitable for growing saffron. Hmm.....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Another rabbit hole I was glad to help you enter, but why limit your travels?  =)

This info from, of course, Sativus.com: Just as it is difficult to pinpoint exactly where the cultivation of saffron originated, so it is with the name of the world's most expensive spice. But we can trace it as far as the existence of the Persian word zarparān (which means 'having golden stigmas') from which the Arabic word za'farān was believed to have been derived instead of the Arabic adjective asfar (which means 'yellow'); it is also very similar to the Persian word za'ferân which gave rise to the Old French word 'safran', from where the Latin word 'safranum' emerged.

The sign of saffron in Lineair BFinally, the English word 'saffron' does come from the Latin 'safranum' from which originated the Spanish word 'azafrán' and the Italian word 'zafferano' (both meaning saffron). The other terms for saffron in various languages are: 'azupiranu' (Akkadian), 'azafrán' (Galician), 'azafrai' (Basque), 'saffran' (German), 'szafran' (Polish), 'shafran' (Russian), 'kesar' or 'zafran' (India), 'hong hua' (China), 'zaferen' (Turkish), 'saframi' (Finnish), 'sáfrány' (Hungarian), 'safrána' (Latvian), 'safranu' (Romanian), 'safárum' (Malaysian), 'khekhrum' (Armenian), 'kurkum' (Farsi) and 'safrà' (Catalonian).

The similarity of these terms reveals the global journey that the famous spice have taken in time and space. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.