Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide on order

bigalsworth
bigalsworth Posts: 685
edited January 2020 in EggHead Forum
Now what?  I was thinking about spatchcocking a small chicken, throwing on some dry brine, vacuum seal it, sous vide, then finish on the egg.  I was thinking about doing it this way because I really like brined chicken, the infused salt is just a personal taste of mine, and I don't have the ability to brine, wet or dry any other way.

What are some of your processes from start to egg on some of your favorite meals.  I'm hoping to think outside the box on this and use it for easy meal prep during the week.

Thanks

Edit.  Is there such a thing as being in the sous vide for too long?
Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,167

Ya, you can definitely be in there too long with some stuff.  chefsteps and serious eats have some really good sous vide guides that show what happens to meat at different temps/times. Try a chuck roast for at least 24 hours, sous vide really shines here.

Also sous vide is really good with most vegetables, especially carrots

I don't have all the "processes" on me right now, but if someone else doesn't give you some temps/times soon I will look it up later and let you know

This  one will be my next experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs9gifSqt9k

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bleck
  • I bought my sous vide (almost) exclusively for FRIED chicken, which is amazing and perfect every single time. I think your idea is on track because seasoned and sous vide BSCB are not just edible, but awesome after being finished on the egg.. For chicken, I wouldn't go over six hours (I do four) as it can become mush.

Tri-tip and chuck roasts go from good excellent after a day in the sous vide. There are plenty of books. It gets lots of flack, but it's a perfect companion to the egg. Have fun and enjoy!!
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2020
      I personally don’t think a whole chicken will benefit from the SV unless your going to SV then flash fry for crispy skin.  Spatched chicken comes out too good to mess with.  BLSL breast will benefit greatly from a 2hr swim at 145° followed by a sear in cast iron.  Not a big fan or sear by fire on these.  
     For SV I generally on use SnP for flavors as most other seasoning are lost in the liquid created by SV cooking.  

My favorite is Tri Tip for 4-5hr @ 134 then rest then sear.  

You can most definitely cook too long in SV.  Like it was said above check out Serious Eats for a great explanation of time frames.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    yes you can sousvide too long and end up with mush. salt can be overpowering, go light the first few times with salt and think more along the lines with milder herbs, rosemary can really overpower with too much and a long bath time.  easiest first time cook is the seared carrot cook.

theres too much info and opinions out there on sousvide, start with one source
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I bought my sous vide (almost) exclusively for FRIED chicken, which is amazing and perfect every single time. I think your idea is on track because seasoned and sous vide BSCB are not just edible, but awesome after being finished on the egg.. For chicken, I wouldn't go over six hours (I do four) as it can become mush.

Tri-tip and chuck roasts go from good excellent after a day in the sous vide. There are plenty of books. It gets lots of flack, but it's a perfect companion to the egg. Have fun and enjoy!!
    Any chance you can please show your work and outline the sous vide fried chicken for us? Thanks!

Any chance you can please show your work and outline the sous vide fried chicken for us? Thanks!
    Yes. I'd love to. I can start it tomorrow and finish it Wednesday and post it. It won't be @smokingal quality, but I'd be flattered to share it. Coincidentally I bought two whole chickens today.  
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI

Yes. I'd love to. I can start it tomorrow and finish it Wednesday and post it. It won't be @smokingal quality, but I'd be flattered to share it. Coincidentally I bought two whole chickens today.  
    Awesome. Thanks so much. My wife loves fried chicken and has had a stressful week, so I’d love to surprise her with a great cook. Please don’t go to too much trouble on my account! I’d really just appreciate even basic details, but obviously, a fully documented cook would be amazing!
  • Thank you everyone for your helpful comments.  I am also curious to see a fully documented chicken fry.  Its -45 Deg C outside and lighting the egg isn't something I want to do this week.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Just fyi, I only do pork ribs sous vide now and finish on the egg with a little smoke. 24 hrs and they are perfect every single time. 
    LBGE, Minimax

Dallas, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I bought my sous vide (almost) exclusively for FRIED chicken, which is amazing and perfect every single time. I think your idea is on track because seasoned and sous vide BSCB are not just edible, but awesome after being finished on the egg.. For chicken, I wouldn't go over six hours (I do four) as it can become mush.

Awesome. Thanks so much. My wife loves fried chicken and has had a stressful week, so I’d love to surprise her with a great cook. Please don’t go to too much trouble on my account! I’d really just appreciate even basic details, but obviously, a fully documented cook would be amazing!
    https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/can-t-f-it-up-fried-chicken
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum