Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket rub time

Options
Hi all, I know this has been answered several times before but I have trouble searching in the mobile app.

I'll be cooking a packer this weekend and I plan on going with a traditional dalmatian rub. With dalmatian, do you favor rubbing just before putting the meat on. Or, the night before?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    There is a lot of ways, no wrong ones.........I've done them day before,overnight etc, now I apply the rub as I am letting the brisket come up in temp , maybe an hour or so ahead of time....saves me fridge space and for me, time
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Any hard in letting it sit with the run in over 24 hours?

I plan to season it tonight but not put it on until early Saturday morning
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I've done it, no harm....it starts to cure a bit from the salt but it will be fine...i shy away from 24 hours on things like ribs , but brisket is fine....just my opinion, enjoy the ride 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I am in the day/night before but have gone longer when an audible came up.  No worries.  Just wrap it in a shrinkwrap to keep from drying out while in the fridge.  Enjoy the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Thanks all. That's what happened. I planned to trim and rub tomorrow evening but I won't be home until late now. Decided to trim and rub tonight.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    did you trim the silver skin as shown in the last pic?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • onpoint456
    Options
    loco_engr said:
    did you trim the silver skin as shown in the last pic?
    Yeah all silver skin and and hard fat was trimmed. Tried to get the soft day down to about a 1/4".
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Bought a small bag of Black Ops brisket rub.  Gonna try it on the Christmas Brisket (it's like Roast Beast, only better)...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...