Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Sunday Dinner

Options
Used a different wood combination for smoke this evening. Pecan, peach and white oak were used for the smoke. It turned out great.
2 chunks of each....and I seared/burnt a couple sides with a "Gun Powder" rub. 

There was a method to my madness.

I served this with one of the best Rutherford Cabs I have had. SG Tonella vinyard, 2015.
It was rated 94-98 depending on the source. I dunno. It was an awesome Napa style Cab, very dark red fruit forward, smooth as water and a delicious lingering flavor. Finishes like a champ.

Find this, buy this. 

As I mentioned...the method and madness.

I wanted to try the wine with the smokey, flavor of the crust from the burnt ends of this tenderloin. It was worth it. The flavor was rich and with the wine, all I can tell you, if there was ever a sensory overload for taste, for us, this was it. The picture I am adding are the last pieces, we demolished this plate from Venus.

I am going to do this again, but more will be dedicated to crusty burnt ends. Guaranteed. An absolute "WTF....let's try it and see..."

Turned out phenominal.
These were the least crusty of the burnt ends we cut from the loin. Maybe the reason why they were left. I ate them all. My Beautiful Wife was the loser....she had to go let the dog back in.

Too bad. It was awesome.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Outstanding brother... what a meal!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Somewhere Bill Murry is standing up and clapping while wearing a Tux.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Looks fantastic Ron.  That sequoia grove vineyard is one of our favorite wines. They are just so well balanced and full of body, we love them. But truth being told, only have a bottle on rare and special occasions. 
    Come to think about it, I think we need to celebrate more often. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The food looks delicious and the wine sounds wonderful. I’m sure together they made for a superb meal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    Great looking meal as always! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great Ron.  Your wine experience make me feel like a Webelos scout freshman.
    Options
    SciAggie said: jill
    The food looks delicious and the wine sounds wonderful. I’m sure together they made for a superb meal. 
    It was one of those "let the bottle decide the cook." Cabs open a wide window pretty wide for a ton of seasoning and spice, as well as cooking directions, I believe. 

It turned out well for an experiment, however, realistically, that wine would have made Michelin treads burnt to a crisp taste pretty good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding brother... what a meal!!
    This was a meager offering compared to your cooks.....thank you for the kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Somewhere Bill Murry is standing up and clapping while wearing a Tux.
    He will be down for the Bourbon Festival .... you should come down and go with us. 

He has a friend that is a chef that cooks for the event. Very approachable and genuine as heck.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Looks fantastic Ron.  That sequoia grove vineyard is one of our favorite wines. They are just so well balanced and full of body, we love them. But truth being told, only have a bottle on rare and special occasions. 
    Come to think about it, I think we need to celebrate more often. 
    Amen brother. I met an architect in Paris who builds wine cellars, she does massive builds. At the time she just completed a cellar for a client that had a very exclusive collection, over 6000 bottles.

He died in an auto accident in California, never getting to enjoy his cellar or the wine.

Her advice to me; "Drink the wine. Do not save it. You do not know how long you have."

Given the recent unfortunate events, and knowing I am not getting younger....I tend to agree. I am drinking the wine.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Top notch as usual Ron.  I don’t consume wine but your description make me second guess myself 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    If you can find this buy this. If you do not absolutely love it, I will give you your money back.

My food is a freaking joke compared to your cooks.....thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Great looking meal as always! 
    Country cooking. Beans,  taters and beef. 

Thank you for the kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Looks great Ron.  Your wine experience make me feel like a Webelos scout freshman.
    There are a few folks on this forum I have learned as much about cooking on the Egg as I have from you.

You sir, have and have had, hero status with me for a very long time.

I drink a lot....so I figure it out......eventually.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Top notch as usual Ron.  I don’t consume wine but your description make me second guess myself 
    Not one to push a vice of mine upon others, nor will I advocate the practice, however, I will say it has always worked for me.

The meal was simple, it is a cook you do with your eyes closed, everyday and twice on Sunday.

Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

OT - Warning - Warning - Warning - OT 

May Be Found Offensive to: Trumpludites, Bigots, Racists, Those Unable to Think Rationally or for Themselves, The Ignorant, and Those Filled With Hate.

Do not read the opinion below,  if/should any of the above applies to you.

Do not read any further. You have been warned!!!!!  You may be offended by its content. Read at your own risk.

I have to just get this out there. I have an appreciation for Carey's view and his valid point.

The person that flagged this comment is a gutless troll that supports ignorance, bigotry and hate. There is no other reason to flag the satirical comment made by @nolaegghead .....none.

Our future (hopefully) daughter in law is from Ecuador. She is a gifted musician, an extremely talented artist, she is brilliant, very hard working, just a beautiful young lady from a wonderful family.

She is proud of her country, culture, heritage, as well as, her fellow countrymen and women.

She should be. They are among the finest this world has to offer.

Her family owns a business and pays US taxes, here, that employs Americans, providing well paying jobs with exceptional benefits, in meaningful work that has provided for their employee's families, for many years. They have made a positive impact both here and in their country with large charitable donations.

I am unable to share the hurt these people endured when this statement was made, nor am I able to express the extent of both our horror and humiliation knowing it came from our president.

This broad generaliztion against Latin America was nothing more than a self incrimination for nationalist offerings of both bigotry and ignorance, which is fueled by hate.

This has placed hate where none had existed before. It is not from Latin America, it is from America towards Latin Americans.

It is my hope that @dbCooper continues to provide insight to one of the most geologic diverse and beautiful countries Latin America has to offer. I applaud his work and his willingness to enlighten us all.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    To the racist loser that flagged me:
    Options
    Love it

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    .....back to the Sunday dinner......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Awesome meal!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Looks like a great evening. Making me miss my wine with dinner days and wine without dinner days.  Still have wine in cold storage I have yet to transport to my new place in Texas. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    .....back to the Sunday dinner......
    Apologies for the rant. thank you for the kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Awesome meal!
    Apologies for the rant, ....we just care deeply for those we share life with.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Looks like a great evening. Making me miss my wine with dinner days and wine without dinner days.  Still have wine in cold storage I have yet to transport to my new place in Texas. 
    Apologies for the rant .

It is time to drink the wine. With all those we are missing these days, we should never allow life to be too short to enjoy a nice bottle, or two.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I did not see his name on the democratic ballot this mornining.

However, in his present state of physical health, had he secured the nomination on behalf of the Democratic party, I would have voted for him.

Clearly, he could never fück up our government nearly as bad as the GOP has in the last 4 years.

Even dead, he is better qualified than any republican today.

"Someone said that patriotism is the last refuge of cowards; those without moral principle usually wrap a flag around themselves, and those bästards always talk about the purity of race."

Umberto Eco

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2019
    Options
    That cook looks delicious and your knowledge of wine is unsurpassed on this forum.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope we get a chance to break bread one day soon!

As for Epstein.....I don't care for pedophiles. 
    Racism and bigotry stem from ignorance that can be overcome with education and exposure.  Pedophilia - not so much.  I can only hope he's getting what he deserves now that he has left this world.  

Your comment about voting immediately following the discussion of Epstein just made me think you may be a member of the illuminati.  =)

edit: to insert smiley 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    That cook looks delicious and your knowledge of wine is unsurpassed on this forum.  Thanks for sharing.  I hope we get a chance to break bread one day soon!

As for Epstein.....I don't care for pedophiles. 
    Racism and bigotry stem from ignorance that can be overcome with education and exposure.  Pedophilia - not so much.  I can only hope he's getting what he deserves now that he has left this world.  

Your comment about voting immediately following the discussion of Epstein just made me think you may be a member of the illuminati.  =)

edit: to insert smiley 
    @GATraveller

I hate the guy......and I was being an ass. Very sorry. 

I have a daughter.....I just can't imagine. 

With everything that keeps seeping up from below the surface in DC, on both sides,....I am not, nor will I be, shocked if there was a conspiracy.

Thank you for the kindness.

Next time in our area....please stop in. Open invitation.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky