Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Late nighters - butts and Mapp

TroubleTrouble Posts: 276
edited 3:01AM in EggHead Forum
Hi all you late night prowlers. I haven't posted in a while--mostly lurking and enjoying all the new "faces."[p]I just started 8 pounds of pork that I hope will pull nicely some time tomorrow. [p]I finally bought a MAPP torch about a month ago (generally, I don't like things that make lump go snap, crackle, pop; so I stayed away for a while). Anyway, I became tired of running out of my normal fire starting methods and decided to give it a try. Well protected (think space suit), I like it. I have settled on a way to start fires with the torch and a minimum of sparks, so I thought I'd pass it along.[p]I almost always have lump in the egg to which I am adding lump. So when I stir it up, I take out...I don't know...two cups if you measured it I suppose. But they're big pieces. About 7 or 8 of the bigger pieces left works fine. Then I add my new lump, then put those used pieces on top in the middle or where ever I want to start my fire. I light the old pieces and they don't snap, crackle or pop. Sometimes the torch heat gets past them to the new lump and causes a little sparking, but not much. A few minutes later, when I am safely out of range, the new lump gets going happily burning off it's VOCs. Safety is still the rule of the day, and I promise you that flip-flops are a bad idea (now, why do you suppose I'd say that?); but I'm much more comfortable now using the torch.[p]I hope you all have a safe and happy fourth, and that the only fireworks are in the sky![p]Joyce

Comments

• BYC39BYC39 Posts: 94
    Trouble,[p]I continue to go with the electric starters...just need to remember to bring them out of the rain