Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First dry age adventure

Started with a whole prime subprimal strip loin from Costco. Started at about 15lbs. Lost some weight through 40 days of dry aging and then ended up with about 9 steaks in total after some pretty heavy trimming. Super excited for the results once I get to cooking one this weekend!

Brandon - Ohio

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Looks great!  Some may give you crap about the trimming.  Some love it, some don’t. Do what you like.  I do heavy trim on the “heel” steaks, but that is all.   Good eats ahead!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Looks GREAT from here!

The thing many people don't understand is that weight loss from aging is merely the loss of tasteless water within the meat cells - which gives the concentrated beef taste and it ROCKS!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Wow. Looks like the dry aging worked well and you found the sweet spot from a flavor perspective at 40 days imo.  =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Very nice!  They come with a pretty heavy coat of fat - can’t imagine not trimming it away.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE