Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Weekend’s Brisket Cook

I am not a big fan of briskets. I usually do 1 a year. Over Labor Day I decided to have a party and cook a brisket. I needed to do it overnight due to the timing of having to eat around noon. I started the egg around 9 and went to bed with it stable at 250 around 10:30. Well, the skies opened up around 11 in Pittsburgh. I set my alarm for 1:30 AM to put the brisket on. The egg was at 200. I think the driving rains had something to do with that. I have a smokeware cap too. I adjusted the vents and stood out there under an umbrella hoping the temps would increase. I saw them increase and went back to bed hoping for the best. I woke up around 7 to the egg at 315 and the brisket at 175ish. 2.5 hours later it was probing beautifully and resting in the cooler. It was my best brisket yet and changed my opinions on briskets.  I made this sauce for it https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/texas-barbecue-juice.  The sauce was a nice addition to a brisket. It won’t be for everyone and I just used it on my first serving.  I dry brined the brisket for about 36 hours then just added pepper and a tiny bit of beef rub. I ran this without any digital temp monitoring. I wanted to thank everyone here for all the good advice they give on temperature control and letting the brisket cook until it feels right. I mainly lurk and don’t post. Here is my once a year post.  Back to lurking. 

Finished product with a nice bark. After trimming this was an 8.5 pound packer from Costco. 

This is all it burned after about 12 hours. That is a big piece of red oak on top that smoldered the entire cook. 

About 90 minutes left to cook:

Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Nice looking brisket.
    I'm from central Alabama.
    Brisket is not a commonly smoked meat around here, recently I made a trip through Texas and had the pleasure to eat at a place called Blacks.
    I am a brisket convert now. It was the finest BBQ I have ever had.
    I have cooked a couple since the trip, they both turned out really good, not Blacks good, but a lot better than my attempts years ago.

• Blacks in Lockhart is some of the best Q I’ve ever eaten. Would love to be able to recreate that to 80% at home. But may need a new smoker and a few other toys to do so. 

Glad to hear of your success with the recent brisket!  Lurk away...
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Glad to read of your success.  Sweet bark right there.  Brisket is a challenging cook at every turn given the shape and the musings of the cow from which it came. You now know the feeling of nailing that cook and if you enjoy Q, then in my humble world that is as good as it gets.  Congrats.  Time to go again...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.