Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Heartbreaking Day in Virginia Beach

Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,746
edited June 1 in Off Topic
Gunman at the VIrginia Beach Municipal Center kills 11, injures 6 before police cut him down.  I work in a municipal center type building in Michigan and this scares the tar outta me.  So friggin sad!
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• frazzdaddyfrazzdaddy Posts: 1,046
    we have to fix this.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • WesJohnsonWesJohnson Posts: 86
     There’s an easy fix. Immediate ban on semi auto firearms of every variety. Or just keep sending your thoughts and prayers, rednecks. 
    I used to be able to name every nut that there was. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,192
    It is terrible... as it always is in the US when these increasingly common events occur - 150 mass shootings so far and it's only day 151 of 365 this year.
    I worked in the building where the event took place today for a few decades in the Engineering Division of Public Utilities until I retired eight years ago. I've purposefully avoided trying to contact any former coworkers about todays tragedy as I'm sure they all have more serious things to deal with right now.
    We have a great city government here and I have no doubt they will give every bit of support necessary to help the employees and their families get thru this tragedy.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • 6baluts6baluts Posts: 18
    As a resident of Va Beach it was quite a shock. The Municipal Center here is composed of multiple buildings layed out like a college campus. Thank goodness the first responders arrived quickly, engaged and eliminated the threat. Could have been much worse.
    You wanna compare the stats for mass knife stabbings by a signal individual vs an active shooter with a semi-auto? Lol, k. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 6,192
    You wanna compare the stats for mass knife stabbings by a signal individual vs an active shooter with a semi-auto? Lol, k. 
    Obviously a crazy knife thrower on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay in Vegas would kill just as many (if not more) victims cuz knives...they're very sharp and pointy!
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 14,719
    We didn’t do jack squat after 20 toddlers were massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary.  Twenty little kids, all six or seven.  And yet we’re numb to it.  If that incident didn’t effect change, nothing will.

Just get used to the idea that someone you know or love will be killed by someone wielding a hand cannon.  That’s a more productive use of your time at this stage.
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

They tried the gun thing in Europe, now its knives. 

Mental health is the problem 
    Yes, for whatever reason, the US has more of a mental health problem in this area than any other country in the world.  It’s the damnedest thing...
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

• milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,156

Yes, for whatever reason, the US has more of a mental health problem in this area than any other country in the world.  It’s the damnedest thing...
    Well all my guns aren't out shooting at anything and everything. I don't have the desire to pull them out and shoot anyone with them. Obviously something is wrong with these people for them to decide "hey let's get a gun and go shoot someone" 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• They tried the gun thing in Europe, now its knives. 

Well all my guns aren't out shooting at anything and everything. I don't have the desire to pull them out and shoot anyone with them. Obviously something is wrong with these people for them to decide "hey let's get a gun and go shoot someone" 
    People’s mental states are fluid, which is why easy access to highly efficient killing machines is problematic. It really is this simple. 
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,746
    Gun control sounds enticing until its pointed out that bad guys break laws and rules.  They will get weapons and take them into places that weapons are not allowed to go.  That way, only they have a weapon and the law abiding are defenseless.  The only thing that stops anybody from carrying a weapon into my municipal workplace is a sternly worded sign on the entrance door.  Even though the cops are next door, when you need them in seconds, they are just minutes away.  It's a good thing only nice things happen in my building like alimony collection and delinquent tax payments.  You know, stuff that puts smiles on people's faces. 
    Flint, Michigan

Thank you for your personal anecdote. Very insightful and we can extrapolate so much valuable data from it. 

Like I wrote above, don’t worry, nothing’s going to be done.  Our love affair with these things is just too strong.

• leemschuleemschu Posts: 516
    edited June 1

I believe you are right. I always love these threads because it’s the same back and forth over and over and most people have no idea what they are talking about when talking about this topic. To me banning things does nothing when you have a open border. I’m just glad we made drugs illegal and fixed that problem...... making something illegal doesn’t usually stop criminals....

I  have plenty of guns, mostly semi automatic and I firmly believe that it is our right to have them for the exact reason the constitution states. I hope I never am but If I was in a situation like this I would really hope I had my legally owned gun on me to protect my self because I think that would be my best chance. Running away, yelling at them to stop, or waiting 10 minutes on the police to get there isn’t really my style... just my opinion and I respect yours as long as it has logic and/or facts with it not just emotion.
    I don’t know why we bother making anything illegal, really, given the fact that there’ll always be criminals.

edited June 1
    Well, nobody has contributed as much to the forum as you, quite a hard act to follow @WesJohnson

edited June 1
    leemschu said:

I believe you are right. I always love these threads because it’s the same back and forth over and over and most people have no idea what they are talking about when talking about this topic. To me banning things does nothing when you have a open border. I’m just glad we made drugs illegal and fixed that problem...... making something illegal doesn’t usually stop criminals....

I  have plenty of guns, mostly semi automatic and I firmly believe that it is our right to have them for the exact reason the constitution states. I hope I never am but If I was in a situation like this I would really hope I had my legally owned gun on me to protect my self because I think that would be my best chance. Running away, yelling at them to stop, or waiting 10 minutes on the police to get there isn’t really my style... just my opinion and I respect yours as long as it has logic and/or facts with it not just emotion.

Your style? Ok Rambo.   In all likelihood, if you find yourself in the path of an active shooter you will panic and shoot yourself or an innocent bystander, or both.  
    leemschu said:

Your style? Ok Rambo.  In all likelihood, if you find yourself in the path of an active shooter you will panic and shoot yourself or an innocent bystander, or both.  
    Don’t forget the soiling of the undies.

• The great fallacy in believing that you are better protected by having “law abiding citizens” carrying in society is the failure to recognize that these are the very same individuals who often end up being the shooters when their lives don’t go as planned. 
  • leemschuleemschu Posts: 516
    I don’t know why we bother making anything illegal, really, given the fact that there’ll always be criminals.
    I’m not saying that. I’m saying that just making things illegal doesn’t solve the problem. I personally would much rather have a legally owned gun to protect my self and my family. This is usually why I avoid these threads because you can’t actually have a conversation because emotion gets in it and all you get is smart ass comments back in forth. But if you ever are in west TN  John holler at me and we will cook steaks and go shoot a 1000 rounds of suppressed 9 and 223 and just see how you like it.
    Well, nobody has contributed as much to the forum as you, quite a hard act to follow @WesJohnson

Thoughts and prayers, Miles... thoughts and prayers. 
    leemschu said:
    I’m not saying that. I’m saying that just making things illegal doesn’t solve the problem. I personally would much rather have a legally owned gun to protect my self and my family. This is usually why I avoid these threads because you can’t actually have a conversation because emotion gets in it and all you get is smart ass comments back in forth. But if you ever are in west TN  John holler at me and we will cook steaks and go shoot a 1000 rounds of suppressed 9 and 223 and just see how you like it.
    I prefer bowhunting, because I was born and raised in NH.  The 9’s and 223’s are for Girl Scouts where I come from.

These threads always go to ****, so so fast