Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memorial Day McRib

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum
We had our Memorial Day bbq cookout (although we never actually took the hotdogs out of the fridge) on Sunday.  Two racks of ribs and a pork butt.  Everything came out delightful.

But we had plenty of leftovers (as planned).  Per Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/ultimate-homemade-diy-mcrib-recipe.html) a knock off McRib is half pulled pork and half rib meat, so (much to SWMBO's chagrin), I thought it was a great time to try it.  The linked recipe has about 500 steps for cooking the pork, making pickles, etc, but I had the meat on hand, and that was enough.

I put equal parts by weight into the food processor early Monday morning, added a little leftover pork drippings, and formed it into a mold.

About 6 hours in the fridge, and turned it out:

Cut and on the grill - basted with Stubb's spicy (for me) and honey bourbon (for her).

And now onto a lightly toasted wheat sandwich roll with Wickles and onions -

Sliced and served (I did add mayo, because yum) -

Overall, while it was a tasty sandwich, the extra processing didn't add anything to the meat except a slightly unpleasant mealy texture.  The wheat roll, wickle pickles and quality bbq sauce, however, certainly made the sandwich a huge improvement over it's namesake (which, admittedly, I don't think I have ever actually had). 

Nonetheless, it was a fun experiment.

NOLA

Comments