Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

3 Large or 4 Medium Packers?

GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 943
edited May 15 in EggHead Forum
I'm making brisket for 70 people in a couple weeks, and debating what the set-up should be on my XL.  I have the AR, and I saw a post a few years ago where someone did 4 packers in their XL for their daughter's wedding (very impressive!). 

I'm aiming for about 50 pounds pre-cook weight, that after trimming and smoking will be around 25 pounds (1/3rd pound per person).   Question for you guys is, would you rather do 2 briskets below and 1 on top that are about 16/17 pounds each, or 4 packers about 12/13 pounds? 

I'm leaning towards 3, with potentially a slightly bigger packer on top to make up for the slightly faster cook time. 

Do you guys have any thoughts on this? 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 9,110
    "I'm leaning towards 3, with potentially a slightly bigger packer on top to make up for the slightly faster cook time. "

Sounds like a solid plan to me.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 7,142
    The setup you suggest with 3 briskets will work well as long as there is some room for airflow around the 2 briskets on the bottom to allow heat to reach the dome early in the cook.  After they shrink some it won't be a problem.  

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX