Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg & Deck - Oil & Water?

Options
Chicago Wine Geek
Chicago Wine Geek Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New Egger, haven't even fired it up yet. I am picking up my nest today. As I contemplate setting my glorious new Egg up, I need a good location. Am I correct to assume that putting the Egg in its nest on my wood deck next to my propane grill is NOT advised for safety reasons?

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Actually, its not a problem. My eggs are on a wood deck as are lots of others. The egg sparks occaisionally, but that usually when you are standing right there with the lid open, and that is because the lump is getting tons of oxygen.

When you are cooking with the egg unattended, you will have the fire controlled with both the top and bottom vents partially closed, and you won't see any sparking.

Your nest will keep it off the surface of the deck.

Have fun.

PS-if you are still concerned, they sell fireproof mats at the home depot, etc.
  • Unknown
    Options
    If you're concerned put the gasser out in front of the house with a "take it it's FREE" sign because you aren't going to use it any more. That's what I did after the first two months. Borterline is right, don't worry about it. Enjoy the Egg and welcome to the cult.
  • Chicago Wine Geek
    Options
    Ok, back from picking up the next. Store guy assued me that with the grill mat and the nest, no worries.

Now, just got to figure out what to christen the Egg with. Steaks? Spatchcock chicken? Hmmmm.....