Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How many full packers (15 to 17lb trimmed) can you fit on an XL with adjustable rig/grid system (cgs

I know 2 would be easy but i'd really like to get three on. Three vertical condo levels and i know the internal side fat layer between point and flat would really need to be trimmed so point can be flattened a bit so it will fit between the grid vertical spaces

Anyone in egg nation have experience with this? If so what were your results?

Thanks!

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,466

No experience with the XL but from your description you have at least two levels to work with. If so, two on the lower and one on the upper-figuring the upper will cook faster due to proximity to the dome. Rotate thru the cook is also an option. Maybe I'm missing samething? Wherever you land make sure you have a huge air-gapped drip pan for the renderings.

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,311

Yup. 2 on each level and let her run.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,311

Shield the exposed ends.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 2,410

I was hoping to use three levels...attic, basement and main,

Heres why

The drip pan on top of either platesetter or spider with stone is ideal length that shields anything above it from direct heat

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 19,466

Sounds like your plan would work. Give it a test fit run. If it doesn't work then use foil to protect any protein overhang.

Hopefully someone who has given this a shot will be along...

Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
    It worked!
  • GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 965
    That's awesome.  How big is the top one? That's going to be a feast! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • frazzdaddyfrazzdaddy Posts: 1,046
    edited June 11

I know 2 would be easy but i'd really like to get three on. Three vertical condo levels and i know the internal side fat layer between point and flat would really need to be trimmed so point can be flattened a bit so it will fit between the grid vertical spaces

Anyone in egg nation have experience with this? If so what were your results?

Thanks!

I did 2 but not three. Let us know.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
    @GoooDawgs, top was 14 lb trimmed, middle 12.5 trimmed, bottom was 16 lb timmed
    I did use cgs stone spacers to elevate the entire rig
    Results were perfect,  among best brisky ive ever made
    @frazzdaddy, i had two XL BGEs with rig and three levels
    Everyone went nuts for them
  • frazzdaddyfrazzdaddy Posts: 1,046
    @frazzdaddy, i had two XL BGEs with rig and three levels
    Everyone went nuts for them
    I am inspired, A raised glass to you sir!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Eggcellant!