Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Help...

I fired up my Large BGE that has been covered all winter and find its moldy I side so I do so.e research and results come back that it fairly common when covered due to no airflow, so I fire it up to 500-600 degrees to clean it and notice seepage below the gasket around the rim. Here are some pics. Can someone please tell me what's going on and if I should be concerned.

Comments

• The_StacheThe_Stache Posts: 1,073
    Ceramic breathing... no worries!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 18,437
    Ceramic breathing... no worries!!
    This.  Moisture and crud being released at high temp.  Rain or simple wash and it’ll be purdy again.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 14,490
    edited March 12
    Brent meant to say Simple Green... I think. Works great on the egg. 
  • Nupe45Nupe45 Posts: 2
    Thanks so much guys, my wife blessed me with the whole rug sever years ago and I absolutely love it, I was really concerned...
  • ryanttryantt Posts: 1,678
    @DoubleEgger Simple Green is an amazing product, we use it all the time.  Fast fall my eggmates were looking like well let’s just say crap.   Truth is I was embarrassed I had let them get that way, quick scrub with simple green and good as new.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2
    Massillon Ohio 
    Check out Chef Norah Grace on Instagram @the_buckeye_bbq
  • Don’t sweat the meat sweats.  :)
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 12,252
    edited March 14
    No worries on your egg. Frequently being the smart @ss.......I will leave this here. Hope you and others will enjoy.

Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 892
    That looks like too nice of a setup to go all winter without touching it!  What's holding you back? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Hans61Hans61 Posts: 3,656
    A sure fire sign your egg has got some use
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf