Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

((KAB + Rockwood) + (0.75 x bottom vent)) - Smokeware Cap =

Options
So, last night I had some BLSL chicken breasts to do and could not get it up to 350F w/ the Smokeware Cap on and the bottom vent wide open & no screen.  Took it off and it started to climb fast, so I throttled it back by closing the bottom vent some. Back & forth on the lower screen until it finally settled down some...

Feels like I'm doing something wrong... I thought the cap was the key - as in, you manage the temp via the exhaust control. Seems weird to see the cap sitting on the table with the BGE chugging away...  makes me wonder how/if I'll ever be able to control a hotter fire for like pizza.

Granted it was about 20F outside and a bit breezy, but still....
Also, it was the last of a Rockwood bag and the pieces were small - but no smaller than Royal Oak or anything.  Ash was cleaned out and air gaps around the firebox.

Any clues or insights or tips?

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...

Comments

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    How much charcoal in the firebox??  If the level was below the fire ring, it's tough to get much more than about 350 out of it.....especially in that cold weather.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    ^^^ and there might have been more smaller pieces cause air flow restrictions than you think. Wiggle Rod.
    When I run high temps for pizza and such, I always take off the top. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I must have some super juiced RW as I can get to 400*F direct using the bottom vent (around 1 1/4" open and the DFMT installed with the petals full open and a crescent moon on the larger opening.  This in 30*F weather last week.  For the most recent cook I loaded to just above the fire box as it was chix.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I must have some super juiced RW as I can get to 400*F direct using the bottom vent (around 1 1/4" open and the DFMT installed with the petals full open and a crescent moon on the larger opening.  This in 30*F weather last week.  For the most recent cook I loaded to just above the fire box as it was chix.  FWIW-
    That cold soaked egg sucks up a bunch of heat, so sometimes by the time you get it up to 350-400, you've burned up enough that it can't maintain that temp anymore.

Easier way to tell is look in the draft door.  If you see it bright orange, that means the air is getting through and if it's still topping out below 400-500f, then fuel is the missing component.  If it's dark in there, like you said, wiggle stick it because there isn't enough airflow.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Cool!  Yeah I had a full basket of RW and an orange glow...

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited February 2019
    Options

I got 700 dome for this pizza in colder temps the other day with the same lump and same cap. 

Your temp gauge accurate?  Cap was on but at full vent and bottom door was open all the way 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Cool!  Yeah I had a full basket of RW and an orange glow...

Airflow wasn't the problem then (e.g. chunk size, vent settings, etc.)

Sounds like you didn't have enough.  Was the charcoal in there new or had to already burned it once or twice?  Either way, there weren't enough BTU's left.